PH testing?

• 3 Replies

Neil

• http://www.beingpetty.co.uk/
PH testing?
« on: June 25, 2007, 15:19 »
Hi All,

I was wondering if you can help me:

I want to do some PH testing on my plot after the growing season and want to get a testing kit.

However, I have heard people talking about the liquid kits but not the electronic meters

Does anyone have any experience of these as they are not much more expensive than the little one use kits - about £10-15

???????
"Every day's a school day!"

ORGANICally minded

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
PH testing?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 20:07 »
Hi Neil,
I have a little experience of the electric one's, personally I think they are a waste of cash, You probably would only use it once or twice on your garden which in that case a cheap kit will do.

If on the other hand you are a gardener or garden designer doing lots of different plots then yes probably it  would be an investment.

I would just ask yourself how often are you going to use it etc.

A lot of us on here never bother with pH testing on a veg plot me included.

The pH for most plants is not critical there are exceptions, but most will grow in average ground no probs.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

mushroom

Re: PH testing?
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 00:01 »
Quote from: "Neil"
Hi All,

I was wondering if you can help me:

I want to do some PH testing on my plot after the growing season and want to get a testing kit.

However, I have heard people talking about the liquid kits but not the electronic meters

Does anyone have any experience of these as they are not much more expensive than the little one use kits - about £10-15

???????

I dunno about equipment or pH kits... you can get an overall idea of the acidity or alkilinity of the soil by looking at the weeds that thrive there. nettles/dock for example like acidic soils. Some plants express different colours at different soil pH, eg some hydrangea spp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrangea

Bear in mind that soil is a mixture rather than a solution, therefore what little bit you do test might not be representive of the whole plot, which is why it makes more sense to use macro methods such as looking at what grows there rather than some random sample.

Beanzie

• Experienced Member
PH testing?
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 23:09 »
Personally I don't bother with any testing. All that I do is make sure that I put about 4 oz of lime in each brassica planting hole to help ward off club root
Ah well ! There is always next year !

xx
soil testing kit

Started by LILLILEAF on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post September 11, 2017, 13:32
by Pescador
xx
Soil testing kit

Started by cc on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post September 10, 2018, 12:46
by Goosegirl
xx
soil testing kit

Started by LILLILEAF on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post November 23, 2019, 09:29
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 36 queries.