what do your slugs eat?

• 29 Replies

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
what do your slugs eat?
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2007, 19:24 »
Not sure about the red plants thing. Perhaps someone else might know ?

I'm sure they have a nibble at beetroot, not a lot I admit but still get holes in my leaves and globes
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

jackiestagg

• Experienced Member
what do your slugs eat?
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2007, 08:08 »
Try it, bagpuss. Try anything! Let us know. Bran works, they stuff themselves on it and are too full to eat plants Growing Success advanced slug pellets seem to work too although as there is no slimy debris its difficult to be sure. They've just been certified for organic use. Pity they look just like the metaldehyde ones, my neighbours think I've given up.

Annie

what do your slugs eat?
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2007, 13:10 »
..red plants!Last year the slugs ate my late red beetroot but left the yellow ones.

jools

blooming slugs
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2007, 21:45 »
I am jhaving all kinds of bother with the blasted things. Someone told me eggshells, tried that -didn't work, beer traps-they're not bothered, super slug preventing gel around pots and plants-slithered over it, I bought some nemaslg nematodes- got really excited as alan titmarsh recomended and thought it would be end of my troubles, NOT A BLIND BIT OF DIFFERENCE!!!, in fact I went out the other night to close up the chooks and spotted them every where and literally picked over a hundred of varying sizes fron hulk to midget of my flowers and veg. The following night did the same and was so frustrated at seeing loads more I collected them in a container and salted them, then poured them away the next day- I am becoming a serious slug sadist-HELP :shock:  :twisted:
Hi, I have 2 chickens- Hettie and Mabel who I adore- I also have a husband and 2 children and the chooks are very much part of the family. I lost one of our original chooks-Betty and was devastated, but Mabel is making up for it, but isn't as friendly.

jools

blooming slugs
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2007, 21:46 »
I am jhaving all kinds of bother with the blasted things. Someone told me eggshells, tried that -didn't work, beer traps-they're not bothered, super slug preventing gel around pots and plants-slithered over it, I bought some nemaslg nematodes- got really excited as alan titmarsh recomended and thought it would be end of my troubles, NOT A BLIND BIT OF DIFFERENCE!!!, in fact I went out the other night to close up the chooks and spotted them every where and literally picked over a hundred of varying sizes fron hulk to midget of my flowers and veg. The following night did the same and was so frustrated at seeing loads more I collected them in a container and salted them, then poured them away the next day- I am becoming a serious slug sadist-HELP :shock:  :twisted:

Annie

what do your slugs eat?
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2007, 23:59 »
The mind set you describe could be me but strangely,this year have not had much slug damage,though I got cross about the snails in the greenhouse which I finally tracked down the other day!

jennyb

• Hiding in the Greenhouse
    • My Blog
what do your slugs eat?
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2007, 10:08 »
our slugs like out salad leaves,  and our courgettes....

however i have been tempting them with tescos value beer - they seem to like that too!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
Re: blooming slugs
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2007, 14:31 »
Quote from: "jools"
- I am becoming a serious slug sadist-HELP :shock:  :twisted:

:lol:  try honest to goodness nasty slug pellets totally non organic but work, unless of course you let your hens free range, then you need to apply a dosing of ducks  :wink:

jackiestagg

• Experienced Member
what do your slugs eat?
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2007, 18:30 »
Got a new weapon and realy does work at last see www.outslugs.co.uk. However not suitable everywhere as other plants drooping over can make a bridge. But DOES work in the seedling beds, better than any gel or copper rings. And no, I don't work for them. Worth the money I think for young plant nurseries or special pot plants

jacnal

• http://jacnal.blogspot.com/
what do your slugs eat?
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2007, 19:51 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
Have you tried piles of dry bran they eat it and die......

AHA!!!!!

Weeks ago, when I first planted my cabbages and tomatoes, I sprinkled some old bran I had around them to try and protect from slugs. I was shocked when I went in next day to find all these dead slugs!!! I suspected a kind neighbour had fed them pellets, but the bran must have killed them! I wonder if these can be used as an alternative to pellets? I've still got more (can't remember why I bought so much  :roll: ). Wow, they are killed by bran?!  :shock:
Jac

Trying organic gardening. Hoping to stick to it.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
what do your slugs eat?
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2007, 20:25 »
Quote from: "jacnal"
Wow, they are killed by bran?!  :shock:

And they tell us it's healthy eating  :lol:

jacnal

• http://jacnal.blogspot.com/
what do your slugs eat?
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2007, 21:56 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
Quote from: "jacnal"
Wow, they are killed by bran?!  :shock:

And they tell us it's healthy eating  :lol:

Hmmm :roll:  That's probably the reason I bought the bags? Can't really remember what I bought them for  :roll:  :)  They have a *best before* date of August 2005! Fate knew I'd be using them to poison slugs, I suppose. Now, if only it could get dry!

Ps: I wonder if oats do the same as bran? My neighbour occassionally sprinkles oats around her plants :roll: . Next time I see her I'll ask.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
what do your slugs eat?
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2007, 23:04 »
Best let us know if it does  :wink:

jackiestagg

• Experienced Member
what do your slugs eat?
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2007, 11:53 »
oats or anything powdery would work. I'm told they eat it and then explode when it swells up inside them. Yuk. Cold slug porridge.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
what do your slugs eat?
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2007, 22:18 »
Quote from: "jackiestagg"
oats or anything powdery would work. I'm told they eat it and then explode when it swells up inside them. Yuk. Cold slug porridge.

you might want to add some bicarb  :twisted:  bang! splat!  :lol:

xx
TRYING TO WIN THE WAR AGAINST SLUGS

Started by Slowgrind on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post April 14, 2010, 12:27
by Lupin lurcher
xx
no dig and slugs

Started by rowlandwells on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post November 09, 2019, 11:52
by New shoot
clip
Slugs

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post April 08, 2024, 11:47
by pepsi100
xx
Slugs

Started by nerdle on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post June 18, 2014, 21:44
by Dilly Dom

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 34 queries.