Ideas for platic and chicken mesh

• 9 Replies

TTG

Ideas for platic and chicken mesh
« on: March 09, 2010, 12:53 »
I posted this on the wrong section so I repeat myself here. I took over a plot and there were some stout wire arches on the site in among the high weed growth. I am thinking of mini polytunnels over the rows of plants. I also have a free source of clear plastic pallet bags, which if cut down the sides would give probably up to 3-4m of clear plastic sheet to put over the wire and tie down with some other thinner wire. That way I could lift one side for airflow during the day.

I also have some stainless steel hex mesh that was also obtained (don't ask but not illegal  ;)).

My question is other than the tunnels for the clear plastic are there any other uses? Also what other than fencing can the hex mesh be used for? It is 1m wide in one roll and something like 1.1-1.2m for the other roll.

There must be a use for them. I hate to waste anything I've wombled. The mesh is decreasing as its currently stored in my dad's barn (and probably in part of his fencing by now). Basically I need ideas before it has all gone. Should be some time as I think the rolls total up to probably 200 linear metres. Weighed a blooming ton lifting them from my car to his barn so they must be big rolls.

mrswaff

Re: Ideas for platic and chicken mesh
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 13:01 »
its such a shame im not living closer to you as i would of gladly made use of the meshing, im in desparte need of some for my chicken pen.

could you keep some chickens on your plot, i know some councils do not allow this?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 13:10 »
I don't think TTG was offering it to give away anyway Mrswaff - this is the Design and Construction forum not the Swap Shop. 

I don't think we would allow him to give it away here anyway as it was not obtained legally  :ohmy:

TTG

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 22:21 »
It was not illegally obtained it was just by a bit of manipulation of managers at work. It was old stock brought in for trials, one of the rolls was anyway and was too wide for the line. The other one was kept with it so the person assumed it was no use for the same reason, I just did not correct him. I got permission from md as well as aonther manager so totally legal. The fact that they were too new to know its provinence. Sometimes it pays to be one of the long serving people at work.

Unfortunately I'd prefer to find a use for them myself and I have already asked about livestock and its a no. I also only have a half plot so not enough room anyway. Its funny how the mesh is of interest to friends and family yet I have not found a use for it yet.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 22:32 »
It would make very nice pea supports TTG

savbo

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 08:15 »
arches could be used to support netting to keep birds off brassicas etc

mesh could be used for leaf basket ready for next autumn

TTG

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 10:39 »
A cage thing for compost? Or would that not work too well?

I'm going to have to go for a walk around the site at work in case there's something else of use in there. Its a real rabbit warren and loads of stuff hidden away that people have forgotten about. I don't have to go skip diving for stuff, my whole company is like a big skip when it comes to goodies. Like a spunbonded synthetic tissue. I reckon it would be good to stop those flies that attack cabbages or carrots. Can't remember which but they fly low down and a little fence of it might work.

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 20:55 »
You could make a tall pergola type arch with the mesh and let grapes or climbing vines crawl over it. As for the plastic bags, they won't be UV resistant and will break down in the sun and likely be rubbish by fall. Sorry.

TTG

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 14:52 »
At least with the plastic I can get more of it for next year. Not environmental I know but it either gets thrown out by me or work. Either way its landfill eventually so might as well get something good out of it.

Lottieluv

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 16:48 »
Mrswaff will have any freebiess lol        Going going gone to mrswaff.   Lol

xx
What mesh to protect Brassicas?

Started by argonaut on Design and Construction

12 Replies
Last post November 02, 2017, 19:50
by rowlandwells
xx
Wire mesh fencing - quick Q

Started by Casey76 on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 18:59
by Rangerkris
xx
Mesh Nets to keep off birds .. is this pipe suitable

Started by wbmkk on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post April 14, 2023, 20:00
by Yorkie
xx
Plywood Ideas Please?

Started by Uffda on Design and Construction

9 Replies
Last post November 29, 2011, 18:38
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 35 queries.