New 'Lotties' take heart. Ta da da da - da da

• 6 Replies

jingerpot

« on: June 27, 2006, 16:21 »
Forgive me please everyone before I blow my trumpet.
being my very first year I have to say despite having a miniscule amount of rain since February my allotment is blooming.  Potatoe blight and curly toms aside........ I have lovely peas, beetroot, lettuce, beans, marrows, courgettes, sweetcorn, radishes, carrots, parsnips and swedes...... its been a hard slog to get it going but anyone just setting out take heart.
The pride with which I took my first basket of 'goodies home was worth evey bit of it all.  I will try and put some photos of it on here soon.

SweetPea

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 17:07 »
Congratulations jingerpot!  It is such a great feeling when all the hard work pays off :D

We had our first cucumber last night - a few weeks back I was panicking because all the seedlings looked dead.  Now they are about five foot high and covered in fruit!

Jake

• Rockers
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 17:19 »
I felt the same pride on my first harvest, in fact I've been boring the pants off all the non growers I know. I have never had a tastier dinner than that night, I'm sure its NOT just my imagination either.

We got some lovely double lamb chop thingys from a good butcher (Minchels) for £1.90. amazing in itself. All the veg we had with it came from the plot or the garden. No multinational recieved ANY of my money for that dinner. That made it taste even better. So lamb chop, spinach, chard, potatoes with a salad of thin sliced fennel, onion and peas. OK it was a small salad. We had the 6 or 7 redcurrents with the lamb instead of bought mint sauce and that worked well.

I posted a piccy of the harvest on the album section.

Soon to have corgettes and lettuce too.

Well done mate. Nowt wrong with the old trumpet blowing in my book.
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

stompy

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 18:52 »
I know exactly what you mean. :lol:

I got my first produce yesterday.

A "radish" MMMMMM  :lol:  :D  :lol:  :D  :lol:  :D  :lol:  :D  :oops:

nitiram

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 19:24 »
I agree...will have had my lottie for just 12 month on 1st July and today I brought home  spinach, broad beans, onions by the ton..two carrier bags full...yippeee and a big ice cream tub of goosegogs. It has been such hard work but am well pleased. Even the carrots have started to grow.

It is rather fun isn't it?

Oliver

Hooray!
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 19:25 »
Yes, growing your own is a fantastic experience, and harvesting the first goodies can't be beat. Well done!
They had some spuds, a courgette (well, a bit small, but VERY tender), some shallots and some carrots and some fat hen. Finished off with goosegos crumble, made by him. She had never had goosegogs before, except ripe/raw.
Keep up the good work!
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 21:30 »
I've started picking the broad beans.  They are not too big yet, but they are lovely raw in the salad and yesterday I noticed a courgette was getting a bit big, and although I didn't want to leave it to get older, we were having salad, so I chopped it up andadded it too!!!!  It was lovely.  I've never had courgette raw before, and even OH ate some!!!!

xx
Possible 2 lotties !

Started by Thamesmeadhammer on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post March 12, 2009, 13:49
by p00rstudent
xx
An encouraging thread to help you persevere on the lotties!!

Started by Stratts on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post August 16, 2012, 09:04
by surbie100
xx
Why won't my cabbages heart up?

Started by Ian_P on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 09, 2008, 22:42
by compostqueen
xx
why won't my cabbages heart?

Started by mushroom on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post September 28, 2007, 10:52
by muntjac

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 35 queries.