Fingers crossed for Casper

• 39 Replies

too many girls

Fingers crossed for Casper
« on: December 11, 2009, 11:37 »

I got my dog Casper from Seamer horse fair in the summer of 1996, i'd gone there with my mother and my 3 children for a day out, i didn't want a dog so when the gypsy with 3 grey hound puppies tied together with bailing twine asked me if i wanted to buy one i said "no thank you" he said "go on it's only £25 quid" the puppies were malnourished and dirty but as i went to move away one grabbed the bottom of my trousers and wouldn't let go, he chose me ;) i offered the gypsy £10 "take it or leave it" he took it, when i got my to my mother she was furious "you need a puppy like a hole in the head, take it back" i gave her the puppy and said "you take him back" she couldn't :) i had recently split up from my husband (the first split of many) and had 3 kids under five, i made an irresponsable decision and it was the best thing i've ever done, Casper has been my best friend, he seen me through many disasters in my life, he's always been there for me, (kept my duvet on the bed at night)
3 years ago he developed a tumour on his foot, it was operated on, he was very poorly after the op and we thought we would lose him, i asked the vet if if the tumour would come back, he said it might do, i made a decision then that if it did i wouldn't put Casper through another op, it has come back, Casper has an appointment at the vets this afternoon, he's an old dog now and i think i'm going to leave it up to the vet to decide if we operate again or put him to sleep, i thought i would know what to do if this happened, i don't :(
 i don't want him to suffer but i really really don't want to lose him.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Fingers crossed for Casper
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 13:25 »
I haven't got any words which will say enough....
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 13:34 »
Oh rom  :( He's such a lovely boy, and is such a wonderful companion. I'm thinking of you xxx

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 13:56 »
Oh No... Poor Casper and poor you.

I'm in tears just reading your post and I will be thinking of you this afternoon. I've been there and had to make that decision for my beloved puss Tom when he got ill and it is heatbreaking.

Casper is a beautiful dog with a very dignified grey/white chin... just what a handsome older chap should look like.

Sending you big hugs Rom
xxx
Snappy 

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

I could give up chocolate but I'm not a quitter.

too many girls

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 14:09 »
thank you for your kind words, we're off to the vets in 5 mins, his appointment is 2.20, i will be bringing him home with me, i just hope and pray he'll be coming back home alive :(

Foxy

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 14:15 »
I just haven't the words right now for you Rom..... :( :(

too many girls

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 16:04 »
update, the vet said he believed another operation would not be in Caspers best interest, apart from the risks from the anasthetic, there is a probability the wound made from the op would not heal, and they had a difficult job getting all the tumour out last time (vet notes, i never knew that) Casper is now on the anti inflammatary Metacam and depending on how the tumour progresses (it's got big very rapidly) and the absence of a miracle he will be put to sleep sometime after the new year :( at least we will still have him for Christmas.

noshed

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 16:05 »
Sorry about your old mate.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 16:11 »
Thinking about you.... :(

too many girls

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 16:20 »
Pip has said (amidst her tears) that "we have to remain optomistic, after all, we don't have to think about losing him till next year" que one very spoilt and pampered dog over Christmas.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 16:46 »
You know it's the hardest decision we make with our pets, only we can save them from pain and suffering when there will be no respite.

You give him a good Christmas and remember they don't know what's up ahead. Animals live in the now.

Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 16:48 »
Sorry don't know what to say except hugs to you all from me xx
Staffies are softer than you think.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 16:52 »
Oh God Rom, im so sorry, i dont know what to say. It never rains eh?. It does sound like he 'choose' you all those years ago, and he is an old dog, but im sure that dosent make it any easier knowing what you have to face in the new year. The only consolation is the life you've given him, although if he's anything like my dog, you will have had just as much back. Have a good Christmas , take lots of photos, wish i had a magic wand for you.im going to stop waffleing now, im sorry Rom, hugs to you all xxx

too many girls

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2009, 17:07 »
thank you for your support, we always reckoned Casper had a cats 9 lives, he's run out now :(, i've always said that a lot of owners try and keep their pets alive longer than they really should, when i asked a friend why she didn't put her decrepidly old and suffering terrier down (he was deaf, blind and could hardly walk) she told me she couldn't possibly as she loved him too much, i told her if she really loved him she would do it, that she was only keeping him alive to save her own feelings and had no thought for how the dog felt, i've been her ex friend for sometime now ;)
seven years ago Casper was stolen from the farm, everybody told me he had simply wandered off but i knew he hadn't, the thieves underestimated my determination to find him and bring him home, 2 weeks of phone calls and advertising and he was located on a housing estate in Thirsk, the woman who's house he was found at had 11 greyhounds in her back yard, she said she's found him on the street and assumed he'd strayed there, from Bishop Auckland to Thirsk is one heck of a long way to wander............................

Foxy

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2009, 17:47 »
He's a good, loyal dog, he has had a fantastic life Rom, I am sure he will tell you in his own way when he is ready to go. It is heartbreaking, and I am filling up for you right now :( :(

xx
Pip so far (fingers crossed)

Started by evie2 on Pets without Feathers

16 Replies
Last post September 06, 2012, 16:53
by arugula
xx
Fingers crossed please!!

Started by Oliveview on Pets without Feathers

12 Replies
Last post November 17, 2012, 21:20
by YoungChickenLover
sad
Fingers crossed for Rufus

Started by John on Pets without Feathers

34 Replies
Last post June 27, 2016, 21:30
by John

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 35 queries.