Advice on Cabbage Collars

• 4 Replies

Plot22

• Experienced Member
  • Don't compost your kids!!
Advice on Cabbage Collars
« on: June 05, 2009, 10:28 »
I'm growing brassicas for the first time this year and have religiously put shop bought cabbage collars around them all but i'm not convinced how effective they are being. 
Firstly I was a bit heavy handed and broke off a couple of plants putting the collars on :unsure: 

The other collars started off sitting flat on the ground but have since gone warped and mishapen and a few plants have died off and are showing no root system when pulled  (no sign of any beasties thought) 

I'm thinking of replacing the whole lot with something home made like plastic discs.   Has anyone else had a similar experience with these collars (Arthur Bowers??? I think)

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
Re: Advice on Cabbage Collars
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 12:55 »
Shop bought collars are a bit on the expensive side.  They do work but there are plenty of other household things that you might have lying around that will suffice.  Corrugated cardboard is particularly plentiful and useful.

Cut a narrow slot from the edge to the centre of two squares of cardboard.  It helps if you cut the two squares together like a sandwich as they have to work in tandem.

Line up the edge of the slot with the cabbage stem and slide one of the cardboard squares over the stem, then slide the other cardboard square from the opposite side.  So you have a nice neat square over the cabbage stem at ground level.

This method helps stop lifting but nothing is guaranteed especially if the cardboard gets very wet and then the weather is very windy. You can always pop a stone on top of the collar to stop it lifting.

There are always casualties with brassicas.  Plant more that you'll ever need and expect losses.  Give away your surplus to people like me who are spectacularly clumsy when it comes to planting and netting crops!
Corynsboy's Blog

What's the difference between a good farmer and a bad farmer?  About a week.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 21:51 »
I got given some of these Arthur Bowyers ones as a present and you need to bend up the little cut triangular sections before putting them on or the stems are liable to snap off or be damaged. Thet are also quite rigid so you need to stettle them carefully onto the soil to stop them rising up crookedly.

Ours have been in place for about a month and seem fine  :unsure:

My D has used circles of carpet successfully.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

peanut

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 21:55 »
I just make my own from cornflakes packets - still waiting for my Blue Peter badge tho
Plot 11L Woodhall allotments, Chelmsford, Essex. 

It's against the law in Australia to fornicate with a kangaroo.................unless you are drunk!!!  Otherwise, it'd be disgusting :@

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 21:58 »
I just make my own from cornflakes packets - still waiting for my Blue Peter badge tho

....and double sided sellotape too?  :D :D

xx
cabbage collars

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 23, 2017, 19:10
by Tracybutton
xx
Cabbage Collars

Started by pistonbroke on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 04, 2009, 16:52
by jazzbyrd
xx
cabbage collars diy

Started by titch on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 12, 2008, 13:45
by richyrich7
xx
cabbage collars

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 06, 2018, 10:39
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.377 seconds with 34 queries.