looking after seedlings

• 4 Replies

earthing83

• Experienced Member
looking after seedlings
« on: April 07, 2009, 20:16 »
Hello all,
I have just sown my first ever seeds (indoors for the moment) I don't have anything fancy such as a propagator or extra light etc so for now they are by the window, covered in clingfilm. I wondered if anyone had any tips on how to give these the best start. I know that I am to remove the clingfilm as soon as they start to show. Do I need to keep the soil moist at all times and if so is this only when the seedlings start to show or from now?
I also have a mini plastic greenhouse in the garden, do you think I could use this from now to sow seeds in? I wonder if it is warm enough (I live in Scotland!) Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.
thankyou everyone...I'm amazed at how helpful everyone here is  :)

Jay Dubya

• Experienced Member
Re: looking after seedlings
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 20:20 »
Hi, the seeds do need to be kept damp buy not soggy i found that one of those hand held sprayers are ideal for keeping seeds damp without damage.

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 20:21 »
What type of seeds are they? Different seedling need different things to grow best  :)

Elcie

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 20:24 »
In relation to the greenhouse I would suggest you buy a thermometer.  I have been amazed at the temperatures reached in mine this week.  It gives me an idea of when to open the windows and ventilate too!

When I first grew my seeds I left them on the windowsill for a while, then when they had shown removed the plastic/clingfilm and put aluminium foil around (thanks DD) to improve the light.  They then went into the greenhouse during the day and back in at night for a while.  Now stay in the greenhouse with fleece at night.

Is working for me so far!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 20:33 »
"In relation to the greenhouse I would suggest you buy a thermometer."

I recommend a Max/Min thermometer (has a means of recording the Max and Min temperature reached, and then a button that resets it - usually this is a little bar that floats in the mercury, or for the dial types an extra hand that is pushed round by the dial. No doubt there are fancy digital ones too, but I like the old fashions mercury type (which presumably contains no actual Mercury these days!). I try not to let any of my young plants, started off "indoors", have temperatures less than 10C at night.

xx
No seedlings at all

Started by herbiegrowsbananas on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 25, 2014, 04:26
by snowdrops
xx
What to do with my seedlings

Started by mashauk on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post January 24, 2008, 17:50
by DD.
clip
Seedlings

Started by andyww2013 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 28, 2020, 18:52
by andyww2013
xx
seedlings

Started by dewisfamily on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 21, 2011, 19:59
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 33 queries.