Turfing the lawn

• 6 Replies

jgsmuzzy

Turfing the lawn
« on: February 09, 2007, 20:52 »
As you know, I started to dig a little allotment in the garden some time back.  Plans changed (we were going to move house, then not, then decided to do the kitchen, bathroom, get a conservatory and do the garden properly.)  Now I need to returf the lawn.  My question is, when is the best time to lay turf?  Bear in mind that I need to rotovate the 100m2 first and add something to break the clay down a little.  Many thanks  James

(Before and during pictures.  The bank has been sheeted (after being cleared) with weed fabric, and ground cover plants are on order that will hopefully cover it within a few years.)  Next doors garden has been severly hacked back, and new fencing will be fitted when I can get round to it!

An absolute novice!

shaun

Turfing the lawn
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 20:56 »
looking good muzzy you have been very busy.
best time for turf is anytime after march
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

muntjac

Turfing the lawn
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 21:05 »
wait till end march and contact the council for turf , ask for football grade its cheaper and hard wearing for kids ,its football grade as it contains a higher portion of rye grasses .. expect to pay from 50 p metre depending on area ,, level the ground as best you can using a rake after digging if you need to do that first ./ so rake level add soil to low spots . rake and walk it tramping it down walkinga cross it with feet close together ( duck walk ) this will break up clods and level it even more .. final raking .now get a scaffold board or a few pieces of 1/2 inch ply to stand on , start at the back coming forwards to the front of your lawn ,lay the turf  slices down in an overlapping brick pattern . tamp down with a heavy piece of board about a foot by 10 inches with a handle on the back. dont stamp on it as you see in these bodgit programmmes. all your aiming to do is get the root base into contact with the soil ,the roots wil then seek moisture in the underlying soil.. water with a soft sprinkler when its forcast to be hot or real dry . a late spraying with water in the evening will help with the root penetration in the day .. do not walk on for a couple weeks if you can help it .do not cut for first 3 weeks and then only take the tips off . i left mine to grow 3/4 inch high approx. it settled down well after a month and was cut properly after that . feed in late summer with a base of growmore ( you do not need to buy all these expensive lawn feeds ) all grass needs is nitrogen really .areating is ok if you are runninga foortball pitch etc for a basic lawn just run a plank with a few 4 inch nails in across the lawn spacing every 6 inches wobble back n forth sorted ...thats how i do it .others may have other ideas .me i cant be bothered to go all fussy over a bit of grass ( wasted space for veggies hehehe) hope that helps muzzy and welcome to the gang matey  :wink:
still alive /............

jgsmuzzy

Turfing the lawn
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 21:16 »
Thanks Guys, do you mean contact my local council?

shaun

Turfing the lawn
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 21:20 »
some B&Q stores sell it but i think you have to order it 1st
also turfland junction 11 m56 sells it direct to the public and its a lot cheaper there

muntjac

Turfing the lawn
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 21:20 »
parks and gardens dept mate , thye usually have a few fields that they grow thier own turf on as they do herevor they have a contractor who supplies them  :wink:

ziggywigs

Turfing the lawn
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 23:55 »
I had turf laid in Aug/Sept as that way you don't have to worry about watering it too much if there's plenty of rain - well at least it was for me as apart from the first two days had to put a sprayer on and then it rained for two weeks!  Perfect.

xx
lawn help

Started by juliec on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post February 20, 2013, 09:31
by juliec
xx
New lawn

Started by scabs on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post September 17, 2009, 17:18
by scabs
clip
MY lawn !!!!§

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

15 Replies
Last post September 07, 2020, 13:53
by mrs bouquet
xx
What was in my lawn?

Started by whistler on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post December 31, 2007, 10:35
by Selkie

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 35 queries.