rows or blocks

• 23 Replies

Bigbadfrankie

rows or blocks
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2007, 21:15 »
hi Purrplebat i have been playing at this allotmenteering for over 5 years it takes ages to get proper results that's what makes it such fun. ( i like your portrait) its much harder than making a living from the land!!! good luck
always have a target
and an objective.

Axe Victim

• Experienced Member
rows or blocks
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2007, 22:30 »
Quote from: "Aidy"
Sorry Axe but have you had a bang to the head? "weeding is part of the fun" sorry but if nuclear grade weeding tools were available I would be first in the que, its a chore I and most people I talk to hate, I see em as the second worse nightmare in allotmenteering.
A weed is 'just a plant in the wrong place'....I'm growing all sorts of things that could be called weeds (like aliums) all over my lotty...if they're in the right place...they ain't a weed....we cultivate dandelions for the tortoises and the guinea pig!

:twisted:  :D
If life gives you lemons...wrap a dog turd in newspaper and set fire to it on Life's doorstep.

purplebat

rows or blocks
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2007, 23:08 »
I do agree that a weed is just a plant in the wrong place, so does that mean you never have to weed? in which case doesn't that kind of defeat the object of weeding being fun?  :?:
If Life gives you lemons, - Make Lemonade

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
rows or blocks
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2007, 09:22 »
A weed! Imho is a plant that extracts vital nutrients from the ground, suffocates other plants around them. If I had criters as your good self Axe I would perhaps have a dedicated weed bed, I most certainly would not have them growing/competeing with my Veg, I would love to potter and sit in full sun enjoying the sight of my veges grow instead of spending hours culling all the weeds , so to me a weed is not a plant growing in the wrong place but a parasite on the allotment.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
rows or blocks
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2007, 09:27 »
weeds are actually the best plants around, from the point of view of their success - they grow healthily and reproduce without any help, they are very successfull, top of the old evolution pathway,

the big problem is that what we want to grow isnt as good at growing! if our crops grew as effectively as weeds do we wouldnt have to weed at all, they would just outcompete them!
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

Trillium

rows or blocks
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2007, 04:47 »
I was a weed detester myself until I came across an article in Bob Flowerdew's  No Work Garden pg 47 where he creates a very fertile garden slurry from weeds, even bindweed (have more than enough to spare to anyone). Bet it also smells less wicked than comfrey slurry. This summer I'll be setting up a special fermentation bucket for the copious amounts of weeds saying goodbye to my gardens. My comfrey transplants are still sucking their thumbs so the weeds will have to do for this year.  :lol:

SkipRat

rows or blocks
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2007, 20:17 »
Whats your first nightmare Aidy?
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

noshed

rows or blocks
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2007, 22:50 »
That bloke that did "Lady in Red" probably
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

milkman

rows or blocks
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2007, 09:00 »
I'm a block person meself, growing as I do on fixed beds.

Weeds are full of good stuff and make a valuable addition to the compost heap, before drowning if they're annual weeds, after drowning if they're perennial like creeping buttercups or bindweed - I never mind doing a spot of weeding with my handfork - it allows me to daydream.....
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

question
Raised Beds using concrete blocks

Started by pelling on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post August 20, 2011, 19:37
by pelling
clip
Blocks for making raised beds?

Started by Subversive_plot on Design and Construction

19 Replies
Last post March 23, 2023, 01:22
by Subversive_plot

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 35 queries.