Comfrey & Gooseberries

• 6 Replies

daveym

Comfrey & Gooseberries
« on: December 13, 2006, 17:47 »
Hello to all

Just taken over a plot and as a reward for digging it over and clearing weeds etc, I have bought a goosberry bush and three comfrey rootings.

Should I plant them out now or pot up and wait for spring or just watch my pennies wither and die (Hope not) and try and be patient and wait for next year?

Oh, and the previous tenant left turnips.  I handed one over for consumption but it had to go back in the compost bin as it was rotten through.  Have they been left in too long or just bad luck.  Soil is well drained.

Cheers

Davey
"A man must shape himself to a new mark directly the old one goes to ground." Ernest Shackleton.

muntjac

Comfrey & Gooseberries
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 18:08 »
me thinks you may have eel worm , if they get in they make the roots go mushy along with to much damp weather .put extra lime on now before  spring and dont grow potatos on the ground , tatties dont like to much lime and good luch with ur plot
still alive /............

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Comfrey & Gooseberries
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 20:00 »
Good luck with your plot pal.
Plant your gooseberry now, its a bit late but you should be OK,as long as the grounds not frozen or waterlogged. Comfrey cuttings should be fine as well, but make sure you put them were you want them as their roots are long an deep, once their in their in  :lol:  I planted loads of root cuttings a couple of years ago in a tray, forgot them and they have survived! growing through the tray into the soil below.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

noshed

Comfrey & Gooseberries
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 20:02 »
The gooseberry bush and comfrey should be fine to plant, unless it's tipping down. Just make sure you pick the final place for planting - hard to change once they're planted.
Loads of compost in the hole helps.
Comfrey expands so give it a bit of room.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

muntjac

Comfrey & Gooseberries
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 20:03 »
if you dont want the comfrey going all over the place ,cut the bottom of an old plastic bucket plant the bucket in then plant the comfrey in the top  leave a lip of about 2 inches for the bucket  :wink:

daveym

Comfrey & Gooseberries
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 19:23 »
What a fine bunch you are.  Cheers for the advice.  It will be good to plant something as opposed to dig dig dig :D

Cheers again

Clodagh & Dick

• http://www.gardeninginspain.com/
comfrey and rhubarb
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 11:38 »
Plant now. Don't worry about your comfrey spreading indeed encourage it to do so by splitting annually and eventually surrounding the allotment or small fruit/veggie patch with it. It's an amazing feed and the row is a good snail deternt..they largely stay outside.....the inside fellows will still need ome traps and slugs some neem powder.
Combined 40 years experience of gardening in Spain.  Authors of Your Garden in Spain, Growing Healthy Vegetables in Spain,  Growing Healthy Fruit in Spain and Practical Gardening on the Costa http://www.gardeninginspain.com/

xx
Feeding gooseberries and gooseberries in pots

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 05, 2013, 21:29
by londongardener
xx
gooseberries

Started by kathryn on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 30, 2009, 22:15
by DD.
xx
gooseberries

Started by supervegman on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 05, 2010, 23:10
by cooperman
xx
Gooseberries

Started by Tom Hill on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 16, 2016, 18:51
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.296 seconds with 36 queries.