downpipe diverter ?

• 5 Replies

pran vallaba

downpipe diverter ?
« on: April 14, 2008, 16:40 »
hi just got gutterring on shed and down pipe comming down but wont go into water butt .anyone know what to use or where i can get somthing from .(not the normal diverters that go into the side one that goes into lid as hole is all ready there 3 inches .how to mak somthing would do .......many thanks in advance...)
WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND
(YOU REEP WHAT YOU SOW)

compostqueen

downpipe diverter ?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 16:51 »
you need the plumbers merchant or ask on Freecycle for some bends

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
downpipe diverter ?
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 17:17 »
Drain pipe angles are always available at DIY shops.

Tinbasher

• Experienced Member
Re: downpipe diverter ?
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 00:26 »
Quote from: "pran vallaba"
hi just got gutterring on shed and down pipe comming down but wont go into water butt .anyone know what to use or where i can get somthing from .(not the normal diverters that go into the side one that goes into lid as hole is all ready there 3 inches .how to mak somthing would do .......many thanks in advance...)

Go to B&Q or similar and buy 2 x 45 degree elbows (dead cheap) and a short length of plain pipe of the same diameter (as are the elbows).  Presuming the down-pipe end is already above the height of the water butt, fit one of the elbows to it, then fit a length (if the butt is up against the shed, the length will be fairly short - about a foot I imagine) of plain pipe to the elbow, then fit to that pipe the 2nd elbow.  Orient the 2nd elbow so that a further piece of pipe coming from that is pointing down.  This last piece of pipe goes thru the hole in the lid.  You'll have to gauge the lengths of the 2 pieces of plain pipe, especially the 1st piece between the elbows, so cut it over length slightly rather than under.  You can always trim a bit more off the length till it's correct, but you cant add any on.  You should be able to cut this pipe (we are presuming it's plastic) quite easily with a hacksaw.

If the down pipe is currently full length to near the ground, then saw it back to above the height of your water butt.  This will give you a length of plain pipe also, which means you then only need to buy 2 elbows.

If and when the water butt is full and more rain is likely, you can always pull apart the 1st elbow joint/down-pipe connection, remove the contraption from the butt and refit the broken connection at a different angle so that the final piece of pipe goes across and beyond the lid and drains straight to ground again.

dereklane

• Experienced Member
downpipe diverter ?
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 13:11 »
I use plastic drink bottles, which fit nicely around the downpipe opening (screwed on with a little screw to the top edge, to prevent dripping), and then hose pushed onto the drink bottle mouth. Then, with three water butts, I can just move the hose from butt to butt as they fill.

And, of course, there's no cost:)

Tinbasher

• Experienced Member
downpipe diverter ?
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 10:00 »
Quote from: "dereklane"
I use plastic drink bottles, which fit nicely around the downpipe opening (screwed on with a little screw to the top edge, to prevent dripping), and then hose pushed onto the drink bottle mouth. Then, with three water butts, I can just move the hose from butt to butt as they fill.

And, of course, there's no cost:)

Great idea.  I'm onto it this weekend.

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 35 queries.