Flowers ready to cut in March

• 50 Replies

Flower

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2006, 22:38 »
I got married  with a  bunch of anemones I bought on the day.The florist made them up with silver foil and flower ribbon.They looked lovely. I didn't have a big white wedding . More of a small church do..But why orange? You might as well have daffs and tulips . Add a few bought  white roses. I'm sure they'd look pretty. Come on fellas , give the guy a break.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2006, 23:35 »
Quote from: "Flower"
Come on fellas , give the guy a break.

Look, it's bad enough having women on allotments without the men growing flowers! :)
The bunny's saying "Errr, What's up doc?"
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Flower

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2006, 01:13 »
I know of lots of great men who grew flowers on allotments and whats wrong with women on allotments? I shall have to get big bad frankie to come and sort you lot out with his orange marigolds. Specially if you' re all on his plot as well.  :lol:

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2006, 09:33 »
Quote from: "Flower"
I know of lots of great men who grew flowers on allotments and whats wrong with women on allotments? I shall have to get big bad frankie to come and sort you lot out with his orange marigolds. Specially if you' re all on his plot as well.  :lol:

I'm tempted to say "Well, i suppose women on allotments would be useful for making the tea" but someone might think I was being serious and then I'm in deep compost.

Flowers on allotments - if that's what you like, great!  I've seen one allotment set up with a lawn, kids slide etc on it, flower border and veg section. To me that's wonderful, providing a family with a large garden.

My wife is the flower person - she's made a wonderful job out of our small back garden. I help out  under instruction and she helps on the lotty at harvest time - except this year when she's had her leg in plaster / straps for 5 months.

shaun

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2006, 14:36 »
a lot of people mostly men grow flowers on our plots mostly sweet william,wall flowers ,sweet peas,dailias and christnamamns (you know what i mean) :D
also marigolds that nearly everyone has.
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2006, 22:57 »
I'm glad you resisted temptation John, please remember how many lottie women you have on here!!!!!!!! lol

greenie

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2006, 23:26 »
Yeah John, what's the problem with women on allotments?   :?  :lol:  In the olden days men hunted and women grew the food and took care of the home.

I would love to have an allotment but seems like all the men have taken them in my area   :shock: :(

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2006, 23:32 »
Being serious, Annie, I really like to see more women on allotments.  I even like to see a few flowers around as well.  Best of all are joint efforts.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2006, 23:33 »
Now I'm really glad I DIDN'T make a joke :)

greenie

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2006, 23:42 »
:lol:

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2006, 09:10 »
My ability to joke has got me into trouble before - although explaining to an organic grower that a new study had shown derris to be cancer causing and it left residues in the soil that lasted a thousand years was taken in good heart when I cracked up into laughter.
I think I'd just finished explaining the allotment rules banned the growing of flowers when the derris jape came to mind :)

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2006, 21:03 »
See how my posts deteriorate. :(  And Shaun is right I am not all that tall. We often catch the rabbits. My wife is very nervous holding them. They just run a little way and try and hide. Providing you are reasonably quick you can just pick up dinner!!!
always have a target
and an objective.

Flower

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2006, 23:02 »
I'm dead curious to know now ,BBF, what are you going to grow for March? I didn't see any thing on that list that grabbed my eye. Gerberas perhaps are a bit orangey but not a wedding sort of flower. What about forcing a few roses?White ones? and mixing them with some orange flower ribbon?
   Are you having us on?

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2006, 01:00 »
Gerbera are very very trendy flowers now for weddings actually, at least in recent years. At least for cake decoration, I've seen them being quite common.

I don't know anything about forcing stuff so I can't comment. I do like pot marigolds over the french/african varieties and they do have a touch of the gerbera daisy look to them while being quite orange and easy to grow later on in the year anyway.
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2006, 09:30 »
Just ordered the Geberas to try but i expect i will have to heat the green house to get them ready in time. (global warming) :shock: .
And i am not suprised men grow flowers as the have benifits. the marigold is supposed to confuse the carrot fly and deter rabbits. But the little ****** eat the marigolds together with the galic. I must teach them to read so they can learn how they should behave :idea: .
I am thinking to release some white rabbits. So when they breed with highly camoflaged brown ones thay will reduce the camoflage effect. This will ade the preditors in catching them, so having an overall affect off reduceing there numbers.  :twisted:
Another idea was to cross them with hedgogs so they developed a taste for slugs and snails. But i bet they would still want a side salad :roll: .

xx
When are hawthorn berries ready to pot?

Started by richard5565 on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post September 30, 2011, 20:46
by joyfull
xx
Garden ready geraniums

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post April 21, 2011, 20:52
by mrs bouquet
smiley
Sweet Peas Ready

Started by Antonius on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post June 28, 2010, 01:00
by Trillium
xx
cut flowers.

Started by Madame Cholet on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post November 02, 2014, 18:52
by Madame Cholet

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 35 queries.