One for gin lovers.

• 13 Replies

Goosegirl

One for gin lovers.
« on: January 22, 2019, 13:40 »
As rather a gin connoisseur OH bought a lovely but rather expensive gin called Monkey 47 which has gone down extremely well. His birthday is coming up shortly so that's one in the bag for him. Has anyone else tried it?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

jaydig

Re: One for gin lovers.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 14:01 »
I've never tried it, but thanks for the tip - my son enjoys a nice gin and tonic, so I've made a note of this one.

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 14:13 »
I don't know which tonic he uses but can recommend Fever Tree.

jaydig

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 15:43 »
I don't know which tonic he uses but can recommend Fever Tree.

I think he currently drinks Bombay Sapphire, so I've also put Fever Tree on the list.  Thanks, GG.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 10:41 »
Tonics must be full-fat according to Elder Daught! Fever Tree is OK, but can you really tell the difference between that and Shweppes, or Twongos, because I can't!

Craft gin is all the rage these days, and that one looks mighty good!

jaydig

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 15:03 »
Now I'm confused!  I think I'll get him a couple of different tonics, because maybe it depends on which particular gin is being consumed as to which tonic suits it best.  Better yet, perhaps I should spend a little while testing them all out :blush:

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 16:12 »
Fever Tree does various types of tonic, but I'd go for the basic clear one as this gin has a lot of depth to it so you don't want to overcome that with angostura bitters or whatever. TBH it' all about a matter of personal taste, so  my OH and I would be more than happy to partake of the items on your shortlist. Whether our review will make any sense I couldn't possibly comment!

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 18:46 »
My Dad would have loved this discussion!

His 'special' was ordinary Gordons with a shot of both dry and sweet vermouth, a drip of Angostura, ice and lemon, and 'some' tonic...

I remember building one of these for us both one evening, and while he smacked his lips, I slowly began to fall over...

But there again, I was only a teenager!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 18:47 by Growster... »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2019, 20:18 »
I've always bought Gordon's gin as it was the recognisable bottle and cheaper than some others.  I am a cheapskate and use T*sco's diet tonic with lime  ::) :D

However, the Gordon's gin was running out and the said supermarket had a special offer on Bombay Sapphire, which my uncle swears by.  So I invested a small fortune and got a bottle.  I couldn't believe how different it tasted (same tonic).  Whereas the Gordon's had a bit of a kick when swallowed, Bombay Sapphire is really smooth.  No kick at all  :ohmy:

I've also got a small bottle of York gin waiting to be opened, but for now I'm a convert!!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 13:53 »
There is some Angostura in the Fever Tree aromatic tonic water but it's all about one's personal taste. Good luck and will see you later in the A&E recovery centre!

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2019, 18:39 »
Just sipping an Anno Gin and Fevertree as we speak, Goosey!

I didn't realise that the Angostura was included, so must try harder!

Goosegirl

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2019, 12:53 »
There are different Fever Tree tonics and the one with the Angostura is the pink-coloured one.

snowdrops

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2019, 22:05 »
I've always bought Gordon's gin as it was the recognisable bottle and cheaper than some others.  I am a cheapskate and use T*sco's diet tonic with lime  ::) :D

However, the Gordon's gin was running out and the said supermarket had a special offer on Bombay Sapphire, which my uncle swears by.  So I invested a small fortune and got a bottle.  I couldn't believe how different it tasted (same tonic).  Whereas the Gordon's had a bit of a kick when swallowed, Bombay Sapphire is really smooth.  No kick at all  :ohmy:

I've also got a small bottle of York gin waiting to be opened, but for now I'm a convert!!

Bombay Saphire is just lovely, you’ll have to branch out & try some of the new gins that are about(100s & 100s ) I had a lovely one with plum & clementine flavours in a restaurant before Christmas,didn’t get the make though. I’ve got a special bottle I was bought for Christmas,I said only today I must sample it this weekend.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2019, 11:38 »
"There is nothing to beat Gordons".   :mad:

I have a trailer stored at a local farm and in payment I bring bottles of gin back when returning from holiday overseas.  My latest discovery is,

"Original Rives Mediterranian Dry Gin, Distilled 100% Natural ingredients". 

I'll ask him what he thinks of it !

Cheers,  Tony.

I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

clip
Any lizard lovers out there?

Started by sunshineband on Chatting on the Plot

9 Replies
Last post October 12, 2018, 11:45
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 50 queries.