small potatoes

• 7 Replies

rowlandwells

small potatoes
« on: November 29, 2018, 16:52 »
something that's bugging me small potatoes when we went to the supermarket shopping the other day looking round the veg display I was looking at potato prices because we grow our own that last us till Easter then we only buy a few

so looking I noticed some small potatoes washed pealed basically ready for the pot and I thought well I sorted and graded my potatoes large ones into bags and the same with small ones now years ago my Dad would boil those little potatoes we called pig spuds for yes the pigs and cockerels long gone are those days after that  we used to give our small potatoes away when I sorted them

then i thought why don't we eat them as a small potatoes so i scrub them clean and we cook them in the oven wats  wrong with that I  ask you because we have two 25k bags of small spuds that would otherwise be dumped :ohmy:

so wats the difference  from my small washed and scrubbed  potatoes than supermarket ones although our potatoes are home grown  :lol: :lol:

Goosegirl

Re: small potatoes
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 15:12 »
Small pots are great for putting in a slow-cooked casserole or stew!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 16:29 »
O" YES I forgot to mention putting the small pots in  casserole or stews with a few dumpling's Goosegirl :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 16:33 »
Theirs and yours are the same without you having to pay them to do it - but you spend more time actually  doing it  ;)

I must admit that this year, sooooo many were tiddlers I threw a lot away! I just ran out of patience with them, because of the drought they weren't that nice to eat anyway, so not worth the effort, I decided  ::)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 16:55 »
so wats the difference  from my small washed and scrubbed  potatoes than supermarket ones although our potatoes are home grown  :lol: :lol:

I reckon it's rather optimistic, and you could say also somewhat cynical marketing - they are often sold as 'baby potatoes', probably in the hope that some might think that's the same thing as 'new potatoes' (it ain't, but sounds much more appealing than 'runt potatoes!  :lol:)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 06:18 »
I think the French make a big thing of roasting the small ones, but can't remember what they call them, and what they do to them! I bet someone here will know what to do!

I agree with Mum that the spuds this year often just shrivelled to nothing so were worthless, but only the other day, we noticed that Waitrose, were selling about six different types of very expensive small spuds, all with 'fancy' regional names, and costing about fifty pence per forkfull! They even had some 'Charlotte', which while being a second early, can still go on, and on, and on...

Another way to use them is in Mrs Growster's favourite recipe called 'Cheesy beef Carbonnade'. It's really
a big pan of minced beef, onion and a few herbs, with the small spuds popped in 20 mins before the end.

The whole then gets a simple handfull of grated Cheddar cheese chucked on the top immediately after serving up, and it's a lunch to die for! (In fact her original recipe asks for tinned spuds, and as she liked the idea of using the throwaways, she still gets a tin in for that purpose)!

rowlandwells

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 11:09 »
IL stick to my Cara big and small lovely tasting potatoes chips boiled baked BEAUTIFULL  :D :D

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2018, 17:29 »
I get a shock everytime I look at the price of veg in the shops!

We keep a carrier bag of washed bite-sized potatoes in the salad drawer of the fridge in the garage... great for adding to stews and also for potato salad. Keeping the cold stops them sprouting
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
small potatoes

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

8 Replies
Last post November 04, 2022, 18:55
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Thermos travel cup/small flask

Started by GraciesGran on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post January 17, 2024, 14:51
by GraciesGran
xx
Are these potatoes big or what?

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post August 13, 2018, 10:53
by Goosegirl
xx
Sprouting potatoes

Started by Tenhens on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post June 17, 2018, 20:02
by grinling

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 45 queries.