Weeding this time of year?

• 16 Replies

banf77

Weeding this time of year?
« on: October 04, 2018, 21:33 »
Just wondering if it's worth weeding now? There's certainly plenty to choose from, but as I will be digging things over in a few months, is it worth it? I will if it's going to be beneficial for next year. What do others do?
Thanks
Steve

Fairy Plotmother

Re: Weeding this time of year?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 21:41 »
We have started digging over the bits that have finished producing and take out weeds as we go. I hoe the still producing beds and fruit patches now and again to keep weeds down. Once you let them off the hook they soon take over then it’s a huge job. I prefer to keep on top of the weeding.

yorky

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 21:59 »
Dig or hoe them out at every opportunity. Leaving them until you dig things over in a couple of months just means you will be turning thousands of extra weed seeds into your soil.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 22:01 by yorky »
Sets a low standard and fails to achieve it.

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 18:24 »
we have quite few weeds on the allotments after removing  crops now i have to decide what will be the best way to get rid of the weeds

should i spray the weeds with roundup before ploughing the ground or should i scuffle the ground before ploughing?  :unsure:

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 19:31 »
we have quite few weeds on the allotments after removing  crops now i have to decide what will be the best way to get rid of the weeds

should i spray the weeds with roundup before ploughing the ground or should i scuffle the ground before ploughing?  :unsure:

Why spray, when for a few hours exercise you could hoe them off & save all that wildlife & protect the environment 😥
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 19:36 by snowdrops »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 19:32 »
I've just had a couple of hours pulling out weeds from soft damp soil following which I'll spray the tiny weeds with Gallup (glyphosate) tomorrow. Then next month I'll rough dig the whole area not occupied by parsnip and leek

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2018, 19:36 »
I've just had a couple of hours pulling out weeds from soft damp soil following which I'll spray the tiny weeds with Gallup (glyphosate) tomorrow. Then next month I'll rough dig the whole area not occupied by parsnip and leek

Same reply as my previous post

rowlandwells

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2018, 10:21 »
why spray! well  its proven the best method in the past for my allotments  to get rid of nettles thistles bindweed dock and redshank and hasn't effected any thing I have planted after spraying roundup and the ground actually seems to be more cleaner unfortunately the weeds have multiplied this year because i've not been able to keep the weeds at bay being layed up for six weeks

enviroment i think I'l leeve that one for now as i have my own take on that one that some mite not agree with  :D :D :D

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2018, 20:24 »
I use Glyphosate on deep-rooted weeds such as thistles and nettles etc, especially when the ground is dry and hard making removal difficult. I also occasionally use it at this time of the year when tiny weed seedlings first appear and ground is too wet for hoeing. I'm not aware of it causing any threat to wildlife

chillimummy

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2018, 20:47 »
I'm with Snowdrops on this one.
Hard work but very satisfying digging and clearing an area of weeds  :)
Free exercise in fresh air and keeps my chubby arms from getting too chubby  :D
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2018, 21:14 »
Hoeing doesn't seem to stop the deep-rooted weeds from re-growing. It's nice if you can dig them out, but some people's backs aren't up to much digging.
A little weed-killer here and there (not everywhere/all the time) on the perennial weeds, lets us oldies carry on growing as long as we can.
So everyone does what they think is for the best for their circumstances.

yorky

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2018, 21:26 »
I never spray my veg beds, I manage to keep them well enough cultivated so that weeds never become a problem. My flower borders, paths and hedge bottoms are another story. At 75 years old I would never keep on top of it all without the odd spray.

rowlandwells

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2018, 17:13 »
good replies everyone to there own can't be bad  :D :D :D

JimB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2018, 17:51 »

Spent some time last weekend hoeing a patch of ground that had had 8 rows potatoes  in it!

They had been lifted about 4 weeks ago and soil has been raked over twice since, but small plants of chickweed and groundsel  had sprung up, so out with the hoe!

The soil to a spades depth was bone dry and I mean bone dry as we have not had any rain for months I just left them as they were as the experts says hoe them and leave them to die!

We had the first drop of rain for yonks over this Friday night Saturday morning so I called into the plot in passing, guess what, lot of the weeds had perked up they never died even after a week of warm sunny days!

I have found this in the past, most times I rake up what I have hoed and dump them, I never compost chickweed as even the smallest plants seem to have seed heads viable or not!
STOP, and smell the roses!

ptarmigan

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2018, 08:03 »
I’ve been weeding and then covering with cardboard or thick mulch of manure.   Very heavy clay soil, if I leave weeds it just gets impossible come spring time.   If not very many weeds I’ve not weeded and just covered in compost then cardboard.  Have to do a bit of hoeing in the spreing when the light forest gets on it in the spring....but that’s quite minimal.

I only weed killer weeds like thistle or docks in paths and only occasionally.

xx
what to sow at this time of year?

Started by adri on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 12, 2009, 13:01
by mumofstig
xx
This time last year

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 27, 2013, 19:47
by scattygirl
xx
What is everybody doing at this time of year?

Started by adekun on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post December 24, 2006, 17:28
by Ice
xx
Time To Think About Next Year

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post June 11, 2008, 17:10
by willnbirdie

Page created in 0.358 seconds with 52 queries.