This is not a scotch bonnet!

• 4 Replies

Nobbie

This is not a scotch bonnet!
« on: August 05, 2018, 14:34 »
After 7 months of nurturing my scotch bonnet chilli's are ripening and it was with a mixture of excitement and dread that I gave one to the girlfriend to make a dinner with, after issuing long warnings about careful handling. About 5 minutes later she tells me they are not hot at all and pops a bit in her mouth to prove it. Any idea what this is? Virtually no heat, not much different to a bell pepper. Later ones are getting bigger and almost 3" across at the bottom and quite bell shaped. Seeds were from Kings.

https://i.imgur.com/y2JJNQO.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/B72mFya.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/lCcshFm.jpg

DHM

• Experienced Member
Re: This is not a scotch bonnet!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 06:52 »
Oh how disappointing. My mate who grows superhots swears by keepimg them quite dry and giving them only minimal water to develop the heat, perhaps they've had too much water? That said, no heat whatsoever seems odd so it's more likely to my mind that you were unlucky to recieve a bad batch of seeds...

meriad

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 12:57 »
it certainly looks like scotch bonnets but just wondering if a batch of pepperdew seeds could have been mislabled in the wrong packaging.  If you google pepperdew images it's not too far off?

But personally I'd try another chili and see if all of them are mild or you just had one that was 'wrong'.  Just try a small piece first  :D

I Love Spuds

• Experienced Member
  • AKA Mike.
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 15:17 »
Either they're wrongly labelled seed or maybe a cross pollination issue? They don't look properly formed to me.

Very strange to have no heat at all! The only time I've had that is under ripe fruit, earlier in the season.

I always go to dedicated chilli farm for my seeds, as I've had problems in the past with other suppliers' seed.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 15:20 by I Love Spuds »
"Every time I learn something new, it pushes old stuff out of my brain" Homer J Simpson

Nobbie

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 09:56 »
Thanks for the ideas, I've looked up pepperdews, but it's not them. I'll drop Kings seeds an email and see if they are aware of an issue. I think they can probably be used as a substitute for bell peppers, so all is not lost :D

xx
How to sow scotch bonnet seeds.

Started by nemie on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 16, 2010, 19:48
by nemie
xx
Scotch bonnet chillies

Started by Jasper1 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 11, 2010, 22:28
by GrannieAnnie
clip
Is this a Scotch Bonnet chilli?

Started by Nobbie on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 26, 2020, 15:41
by Plot 1 Problems
xx
scotch bonnet question

Started by flitwickone on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 16, 2012, 01:01
by shokkyy

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 33 queries.