Supermarket Herbs

• 6 Replies

Elaine G

Supermarket Herbs
« on: August 03, 2018, 12:20 »
I'm sure I have read that it is possible to split up the herbs you buy in supermarkets to make them last longer. Today I have bought parsley and coriander.
If anyone has any tips how much to separate them and where to put them afterwards it would be appreciated. I guess its a bit warm to put them outside after the cool shop!

For those of you that think buying them isn't thrifty, I still haven't managed to germinate more than one parsley seed  :mad: this year.

Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Supermarket Herbs
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 13:00 »
It works really well, as long as you can keep the plants shaded in this hot sunshine

I do this with curly parsley and the plants last right round the year as I cut out flowering stems in the Spring:

Soak the root ball well and then gently "tear" into two or three (or even four) sections. Plant each one slightly deeper than in the pot and remember it will flop about as theat growth is forced but new growth will be normal
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Nobbie

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 17:43 »
I'd transplant both into pots as I reckon they'd bolt if planted straight out after splitting up. I did this to basil and parsley earlier in the year and they're both doing well. I think my pots were 80p each, so less than a packet of seed. Keep them very wet for the first week or so as you will break a lot of the roots when you split them up. With the basil I used the top half in cooking just to reduce the load on the damaged roots while they recovered.

Elaine G

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 17:01 »
Thank you for your answers. I will split into separate pots and try to find some shade until this weather calms down!
 May pop back later in the week and see if they have any basil😀

Elaine

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2018, 18:24 »
I've successfully transplanted overcrowded supermarket parsley several times, although I don't find it particularly difficult from seed considering it belongs to the carrot family.  ::)

Don't think there's any cutting that roots quicker in water than basil if you want a different way of propagating it.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2018, 20:24 »
I don't split them up but just put into larger pots with great success and they go mad with the extra nutrients from the new compost and subsequent feeding!

Parsley gets hardened off then goes outside eventually in a fairly large pots
Oregano is treated the same (no idea why I bought it other than it being reduced!)
My last lot of coriander stayed inside but generally it doesn't last as long as the others.
Basil stays on the windowsill and loves the early morning sun.
Chives go outside in a relatively large pot (7L or so)

I normally buy them when they are reduced and I find is the far easiest way of having a herb garden. 

Might try the splitting idea mentioned above.

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2018, 21:05 »
Don't think there's any cutting that roots quicker in water than basil if you want a different way of propagating it.

Thanks for the tip JayG, didn't know that, will give it a go!

G&R

xx
Supermarket Herbs

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 24, 2013, 17:09
by angelavdavis
xx
Supermarket herbs

Started by Hesse2509 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 13, 2012, 09:37
by JayG
xx
Supermarket herbs.

Started by Gleavo on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 08, 2016, 10:03
by DanielCoffey
xx
Why do supermarket herbs die?

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post February 10, 2013, 10:30
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.348 seconds with 43 queries.