Worst year ever for runner beans...

• 12 Replies

Growster...

Worst year ever for runner beans...
« on: July 30, 2018, 11:59 »
They needed the water and got that most evenings, but hardly any flowers set!

They've now reached the top of their frame, and are falling all over the place like a curtain, so we can't even see them to pick them, and when we do find a few, it's too late!

There are some new flowers forming along the top now, so a later flourish might be on the cards, but breath is certainly not being held!

Must be the weather...

Enfield Glen

• Experienced Member
  • Borough champion 12 times
Re: Worst year ever for runner beans...
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 14:01 »
I had loads of flowers but hardly any beams that's set and those that did hardly grew at all just sent to seed. Definitely the heat as mine were watered nearly every day.

lettice

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 16:23 »
Not having any problems here, my runners have been producing as well as they always do, with large pickings daily for the last few weeks. Do water them every day.
We had our first rainfall (apart from a few in the air drizzly days) over this weekend since June 7th.
Was more worried about the strong winds we had forecast this weekend, which may have disrupted the bean canes a bit, but it turned out to be just a strong breeze.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 18:14 »
I cut mine back by half about a week ago and they've just started strong regrowth, so I'm hoping they'll be better later.

madcat

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 19:29 »
Lots of flowers but very few beans set here.  The plants are still healthy so hoping for another flush in the cooler weather coming, now there is more water in the ground. 

The french beans are nearly history.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 16:07 »
I cut mine back by half about a week ago and they've just started strong regrowth, so I'm hoping they'll be better later.

I might try this with half of them as they are dire this year... grown so slowly despite all the watering and are as tough as they come! The second lot along the frame are looking more promising, but thank goodness for the glut of french beans!!! :wacko:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 18:07 »
I grow mine at home with the irrigation system (as I work away a lot) and mine are doing well,  giving me a decent supply each day. They are in a slightly shaded area of the garden which may have helped this year  with the hot weather tbh,

Anton

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 13:30 »
Yes, this has been my worst year for runner beans. I carried a bin full of water to the allotment but then had to leave for a week and the bush had ceased producing beans upon my return, while the leaves had turned yellow.

Same for lots of my plants, so with no prospect of rain in the next week or so and all the allotment water barrels bone dry (plus a municipal ban on watering ) I think I will give up for the time being.
Some of the plants I watered and covered with straw have managed to survive

Anton

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 13:39 »
Just a thought, is some of it to do with the type of bees around due to the weather? Some cut into the back of the flowers so no beans, but later ones pollinate them.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2018, 15:35 »
Planted my White Lady out at the very end of May as usual, and this year is the first I've been able to pick beans in mid July. They have remained a bit reluctant to get right to the top of my Munty frame (about 10') but seem to have been pollinating well right from the start, which again is fairly unusual for me.

Some of the beans which developed during the hottest temperatures had a tendency to be a bit stringy, but they're back to normal now.  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

andyww2013

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2018, 19:03 »
Same here, useless.  Heavily watered, however this year I moved from shady spot in the garden to full sun.

engineer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2018, 19:54 »
I haven't grown runner beans for a few years now, I have turned to flat podded French climbing beans, no problem at all with cropping or pollination,  have had 6 trays full ( blue mushroom type) from 12 plants. However I think they are past it now!

Growster...

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2018, 20:15 »
Just a thought, is some of it to do with the type of bees around due to the weather? Some cut into the back of the flowers so no beans, but later ones pollinate them.

I reckon you're on to something here!

I was shown what happens by an old boy (much older than me), a few years ago, and yes, they ruin the flower and move on to ruin the next one!

Ours are just pathetic, and we're hoping the new flowers will produce something soon...

xx
Runner beans for next year

Started by Bantymad on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 01, 2010, 16:05
by JayG
xx
Saving runner beans to use as seeds next year.

Started by clairebeau on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post November 29, 2011, 21:04
by sunshineband
xx
is this year worst than last?

Started by ruffmesiter_69 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post July 11, 2007, 23:24
by Ali
xx
Worst year for pests and disease ever ?

Started by vegmandan on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post August 02, 2008, 01:47
by gobs

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 36 queries.