RIP Eva

• 11 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
RIP Eva
« on: July 16, 2018, 11:09 »
Poor Eva just dropped yesterday.  She was fine first thing, but was found later dead in the coop.  I think it was her heart judging how blue her face was  :(  She was a decent age and sometimes underlying problems just catch up with them.

Anyway, now the problem of Naomi, who was the surviving member of Alphie's little gang.  I have had Alphie's girls out mixing in the garden with Foggie's lot.  There have been a few handbag moments, but they have got used to each other.  Naomi was very upset yesterday at being on her own, so she had a run round with the other gang and then got unceremoniously shoved into their coop last night.  When I peeked in later, she had got herself into the middle of them all and was sound asleep on a perch  :)

She's not overly happy this morning, but it seems she prefers her new friends to being on her own.  So far, she and Beyonce has have a few spats, but it is remarkably calm considering how much they hated each other in the past.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: RIP Eva
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 13:49 »
Aah! I suppose the heat was the last straw for Eva, she had a good life while it lasted.
I hope they all settle down together now  :)

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 14:58 »
Oh I’m sorry to hear that NS, must be a wrench for you. I’m sure they’ll come to terms with each other over the next few days, & if they let her in the middle to roost they must be half way there
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 15:08 »
That's sad news to here. Eva had a wonderful time living with you, and you will really miss her I'm sure  :( :(

Glad to hear that Naomi is being accepted by the "other gang", as she would be terribly lonely on her own
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 21:07 »
There are still spats.  They were out in the garden and Naomi did something wrong.  Foggy told her off and pulled a good few feathers out.  She didn't care and was chasing Patsy and Millie round later, only to be turned on by Foggy and Beyonce  ::)

No blood letting though, so I'm letting them get on with it.  I'll just make sure Naomi gets plenty to eat and gets to bed each night  :)

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 01:31 »
Sorry to hear about Eva - it's always sad losing a pet, no matter that we've done our best and given them a good life.

Hopefully they've sorted their squabbles and are tolerating each other if not best buddies.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 09:23 »
Naomi has got to bed unaided the last 2 nights, so its progressing  :)

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 10:15 »
When Bob the Hen died, Chocky stopped being bossy to the Charlies. I do feel for her, she's a bit Billy no mates. I think part of it is age, suspect she's getting on a bit and just finds the youngsters too much. Fascinating to watch the way they interact and different personalities.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2018, 19:51 »
I think it is harder to adapt to change as they get older.  I note down when I buy hens in the front of one of my poultry books and the age they are when I get them, so I checked their proper ages today.

Foggy has just turned 8, Naomi is 8 at the end of October, Beyonce isn't far behind and is 8 next spring, Patsy is 5 and Millie 4.  I have the poultry equivalent of the grumpy old men/women club  :lol:

The 2 divas can share space now without too many spats.  They may sail around looking for all the world like stately old matrons, but when it kicks off it is more like Lily Savage on a Saturday night after too many shandies.  Poor old boy Foggy has been getting between these 2 and breaking it up, despite him being a bit decrepit and about 1/3 their size  :ohmy:  No wonder he has been giving me 'Help!' looks  :lol:

Miss B is the grey one here and Naomi is  the black one.
IMG_2584.JPG
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 19:55 by New shoot »

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 00:10 »
You need to rename your house to The Best Marigold Chicken Coop :)

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2018, 18:54 »
So sorry. :mellow: xxx
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2018, 11:01 »
So sorry. :mellow: xxx

Thanks Nerdle  :)

All is well now.  Naomi is part of the big gang, although she and Miss B have an ongoing battle of wills as to who is top hen  ::)   I am looking for some new girls this autumn and they can grow up a bit in the Eglu a.k.a. Alphie's Lilac Love Palace while they get used to the grump old ladies  :lol:

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 49 queries.