Chimney Cowl advice please

• 6 Replies

mrs bouquet

Chimney Cowl advice please
« on: July 01, 2018, 12:14 »
Some weeks ago I had a new fire fitted, along with a new liner and cowl.   But as I live on the top of the Downs, when the wind blows hard (which is often) particularly from the North/ North/East, the noise drumming down the chimney is horrendous.  Cannot hear the TV and have to shut sitting room door when I go to bed.
The supplier/fitters have suggested replacing the cowl with a "Lobster Pot" type with a fin.  This they tell me will turn away from the prevailing windows.. However, it is expensive to have it done, and I am worried in case it doesn't work.
So  I wonder if you have any experience or knowledge of this type of cowl.   I would very much appreciate your comments.
Thank you for taking time to read this, regards Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Goosegirl

Re: Chimney Cowl advice please
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 13:31 »
I live on flat moss-land by the sea and the winds can really blow sometimes. Our cowl is a cylindrical shape that has louvres all round with a lid on top and we don't really get any noise from it unless the fire is out and the grate and chimney flue vent are fully open. Is the wind getting down your chimney or does the noise come from it blowing over the top like blowing over the top of a glass bottle, and what sort of cowl do you have?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 19:02 »
I did wonder if the noise is only now the fire isn't on, because I don't remember hearing it when it was installed a few months back.
I have just been down the garden and had a look at it.  The base of it is clipped round the chimney, and there are 4 struts going upward (just been upstairs, and stuck my head out of window !) about 1 and 1/2 maybe 2 inches high.  These are attached to a cylinder which is about 10 inches wide, and approximately 1 foot high.  Inside that is a smaller cylinder about 6 inches tall, and about 6 inches in diameter.  This one has narrow slots all the way round it.  To tell the truth I have only just seen that, screwing my head out of the window.
It is very strange because it looks the same as neighbour (the inner bit) and they have a log burner, and that's what I had taken out !!!
Erm, don't know what to think, I wish I could find an experienced fitter to give me some idea, but the company that fitted it do have a bit of a monopoly around here.  What do you think  ??
Mrs Bouquet

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 11:19 »
Try contacting the solid fuel association to see if they can offer any advice.

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 13:32 »
I would  get back in touch with the company that fitted it all & if that fails, get in touch with trading standards. If it didn’t happen with your old set up, they’ve done something that isn’t right, you must get need to get it assessed by another firm & present their findings to the people that did the work.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 15:50 by snowdrops »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 13:37 »
Mmm - that's a good idea Snows. I was wondering if it had been fitted properly because surely cowls shouldn't make that much noise.

grinling

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 20:13 »
we still have a cowl like that, the other one disintergrated in the wind this year and fell off. We did sometimes get noise if the wind came in the other direction and birds sit on it.
https://www.screwfix.com/c/building-doors/chimney-cowls/cat850284

xx
Chimney sheep vs chimney balloon

Started by Yorkie on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post December 03, 2021, 19:41
by Yorkie
xx
Gin Advice Please

Started by Elaine G on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post November 30, 2020, 21:06
by jezza
xx
More Computer Advice Please

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

30 Replies
Last post July 19, 2018, 22:13
by grinling
xx
Advice and tips please

Started by ches on Chatting on the Plot

19 Replies
Last post June 04, 2019, 15:19
by ches

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 35 queries.