Garlic Harvest

• 2 Replies

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
Garlic Harvest
« on: May 13, 2018, 14:18 »
My first year of Garlic growing. On the 7th October 2017 I planted 8 x 5 varieties (Early Purple, Provence, Vallelado, Solent Wight and Picardy, all soft necks) plus 8 elephant cloves. All are green and therefore "I believe" still growing? There are signs of some lower leaves on most just turning brown. So, when is the time to harvest each? Is there general signs of which I should look for? Any and all information is much appreciated. Thanks. 

Pescador

Re: Garlic Harvest
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 17:52 »
Once they've matured and reached their final size, the leaves will start to go brown and die back. I normally leave them till all the foliage has fallen over, then lift and dry.
Every Pickle Helps!

Paul's Preserves and Pickles.

AnneB

Re: Garlic Harvest
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 18:37 »
My first year of Garlic growing. On the 7th October 2017 I planted 8 x 5 varieties (Early Purple, Provence, Vallelado, Solent Wight and Picardy, all soft necks) plus 8 elephant cloves. All are green and therefore "I believe" still growing? There are signs of some lower leaves on most just turning brown. So, when is the time to harvest each? Is there general signs of which I should look for? Any and all information is much appreciated. Thanks.

The exact time it is ready is a bit variable depending on your local weather, soil and when you planted it.  7th October is quite early.   I found that if I left mine until they start to fall over as suggested by Pescador, that they had gone over a bit and the early varieties especially had started to split.  As a result I don't leave mine that long now.  I tend to pick one bulb and gently pull away the soil around it to see if the cloves have separated and if it looks ready.

Your different varieties will mature at different times.  Your earliest is Early Purple, which is ready for me mid June, but could be any time now where you are - I assume you are somewhere in the Gloucester area, it helps if you put your location on your profile.   Provence should be mid June - ish, Vallelado late June- August and the others July - August.

I have never grown elephant garlic so can't speak from experience with that.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 18:39 by AnneB »

xx
When to harvest garlic?

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post June 11, 2014, 16:55
by NewSteve
clip
Garlic Harvest

Started by andyww2013 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 05, 2020, 19:25
by Nobbie
xx
Garlic Harvest...

Started by Jay The Digger on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 12, 2009, 14:20
by mumofstig
xx
Garlic harvest

Started by Trillium on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 26, 2010, 01:09
by WirralWally

Page created in 0.428 seconds with 36 queries.