What would you do?

• 3 Replies

Deborah1

• Experienced Member
What would you do?
« on: May 08, 2018, 15:13 »
Like everyone else I imagine, I'm trying to find spaces to plant things - especially since most of the ground seems to be taken by potatoes  ::) Anyway, I need to plant out cabbages and sprouts but the only place I have for them isn't great.
It hasn't grown brassicas for a while, so that's ok. It could do with a dig and a weeding (couch grass) and some manure. (Have some well-rotted.)
BUT
As brassicas want firm ground, not recently manured. Would I be better planting straight into it? Or forking lightly to lift out what couch grass roots I can? Or should I dig it over, weed and incorporate the manure and tread down firmly?
If anyone's around reading this this afternoon - instead of out there working ;) I'd be glad of some opinions.
Thanks.

Nobbie

Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 15:50 »
I'd give it a spray with glyphosate to kill the couch grass and then plant the Brussels direct and use the manure as a mulch to keep any further weeds down and retain moisture. The worms will gradually take it down into the soil by next spring.

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 16:11 »
You could cover with thick cardboard or newspaper to exclude the light, wet it well,then put on as much compost/well rotted manure as you can, plant straight into itthe cardboard should let you through if it’s very wet, try & cover back up to the stem with the paper,cardboard or even put more around to exclude the light so the couch grass doesn’t grow through, then by next year couch should be gone, you could even put weed suppressant over the top of the compost/manure & cut crosses to plant through, definitely no couch next year.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Deborah1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 17:17 »
So, it seems that you both think that the firm ground is the more important than digging out the couch. That's fine by me! Thanks :)

Page created in 0.366 seconds with 34 queries.