Slow

• 11 Replies

Christine

Slow
« on: May 07, 2018, 07:05 »
All my seedlings such as cucumbers, tomatoes and peppers are way behind. They came up and just stopped. Didn't die. Hasn't affected the pattypan, sweetcorn and courgettes which are growing as expected. I've heard that locally other people are about a month behind the expected with seedlings growing on - tomatoes being the main one in question.

Anyone else having a slow year with pricking out and bringing on any seedlings?

madcat

Re: Slow
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 09:55 »
Yup.  I'm well behind, even things that have been in the propagators have sulked.  But in the last few days putting them out in the sunshine first thing - they are bounding away!  All they needed was proper sun on their leaves.  :)
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 10:23 »
The crops sown or planted directly outdoors (i.e. spuds, broad beans and garlic) went in up to 4 weeks later than usual, so have some catching up to do.

I sowed the tender crops (beans, sweetcorn, cukes and squashes) indoors a couple of days ago, which is about normal for me (I don't like having to sow twice so I don't gamble with the weather.)

Not got round to sowing any salad stuff yet - it seems a bit hot at the moment for that but looks as if it will cool down in a few days time so I'll do it then.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 10:49 »
Everything has definitely been slow this year, but in the last few days there's been an explosion of growth!
As long as we have a half decent September & October harvests should be ok this Summer.

Toosje

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 12:11 »
Here as well.. Even the pumpkins, which normally sort explode out of the soil, seem te be very shy this year.
My coeur de boeuf tomatoes didn't sprout, like fennel, beets are slow..

I keep buying plants when I see them because my sowing schedule is becoming a mess  :wub:
This did result in a few special variaties of tomatoes though :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 12:39 »
I planted about a month later than usual and only sowed my seeds a couple of weeks ago. They're just starting to show but it's perhaps a bit too hot for them now!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

miggs

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 13:59 »
Don't take this the wrong way, but thank god for that, I thought it was just me.
Most of the seeds I have sown have taken ages to start, some didn't even make a start.
Had to start again with quite a few items, could be that I am using old seeds though.

victoria park

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 16:15 »
Not too far behind, maybe a week, and yes, there's been a little sulking with a few, but nothing major.  My biggest problem has been not being able to have prepared some beds as I would have liked due to them being under water, particularly carrots and early outdoor peas.

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 16:44 »
I only started sowing  2 weeks into April, the tomatoes took a while even in the propagator, they’re all pricked out now & have started to romp away this last week. Tge brassica’s I’ve just potted on from a sowing 17/4.  Potatoes went in 2/3 weeks ago & I just spotted 2 we’re through yesterday. So although I’m feeling a bit panicked by lack of anything to plant out now I do feel with this lovely tropweather they will burst forward & all will be well. Now just to decide whether to sow beans,sweetcorn,squashes today/tomorrow in the hope I can get them planted out by the time I go away 2nd June, or wait a week or so & put them in when I come back? Any helpful suggestions welcome.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Grubbypaws

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2018, 13:14 »
My parsnips have germinated at last  :D I had almost given up hope. It has been such a crazy spring the soil has been either too cold and wet or too hot  :wacko:

al78

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2018, 13:35 »
I'm about two weeks behind. I have also noticed slow seedling growth. Here in the SE spring has been very dull and cool (before the bank holiday anyway), which is not great for plant growth. On the plus side, the weeds have also been slow to get going, which is making it easier to get rid of the invasion of creeping buttercup.

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2018, 16:10 »
I’m so behind that seeds are only just germinating in the greenhouse. Only onions are planted out and that only happened 2 weeks ago for the white onions and this morning for the reds. 😧

xx
Going slow...

Started by sazzy123 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post August 03, 2009, 22:09
by sazzy123
xx
Slow Brussels?

Started by heygrow on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 15, 2013, 22:20
by R6robbo
xx
slow worm

Started by cede on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 03, 2006, 22:19
by twysted1
xx
Slow Celery

Started by Malturn on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 28, 2012, 21:02
by Kirpi

Page created in 0.402 seconds with 35 queries.