Growing squashes up trellis

• 4 Replies

heygrow

• Experienced Member
Growing squashes up trellis
« on: April 30, 2018, 11:45 »
I'm planning on growing some squashes up on some trellis this year for the first time. Normally I just let them sprawl over the ground. Thinking I will put up some post on one end of the plot with some heavy twine or timber as cross pieces for them to grow up.

Anyone done this and any tips/things to be aware of would be helpful. Also which squashes are successful growing this way? I have Turks Tuban; Buttercup and Waltham Butternut.

Thanks,

madcat

Re: Growing squashes up trellis
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 11:52 »
I use sheep netting between posts with a heavy long cane or lath of wood woven in across the top and fixed to the posts to support it.  You will be amazed how heavy the plants get. I grow / have grown Turks Turban, Cha Cha, Uchiki Kuri, err others, Marrows and cucumber (long and round) all up the fences.  It works really well.  Just keep an eye on the fruits as they form so they dont get stuck in the netting, but hang free.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 12:36 »
I've grown them up ex building site fencing. The fruits do get heavy. I had one grow between the wires as I'd missed it. That was odd. Also, I've seen a pumpkin grow between a wooden pallets and prise the planks apart.

A tip is to bury a pipe or bottle so you can water close to the roots. Two litre bottle with the bottom cut off are OK to begin with yet the foliage soon grows over them. A two or three foot drain pipe is better.

It can be successful. Make sure to feed them well. I used self-made comfrey feed or dilute tomato feed at fruit set.

heygrow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 16:16 »
Thanks for the replies and good idea of using sheep or building netting.
How many plants do you think is practical to grow on a trellis about 6ft between posts? Also I was think of about 4ft high.

madcat

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 09:25 »
Go up a bit if you can - mine are 4 plus foot and I have an application in with OH for an extension to 6' this year.  They form a thick rope along the top, criss crossing each other, and one of the morning jobs is to turn the shoots around when they come off the end and start heading for the next bed/the neighbours/any passing body on the path!

I do 3 squashes to a fence about 3m long, 2 on one side and 1 on the other in the middle.  4 long cucs ... but the lemon crystal cucs are as space consuming as a squash.   :ohmy:  The time I grew a marrow up the frame by mistake it got squash spacing and seemed good with it.  I am going to try round trailing courgettes at that spacing this year.

xx
growing courgettes up a trellis

Started by georget on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 21, 2014, 17:53
by Auntiemogs
xx
Growing cucumbers up a trellis - no greenhouse

Started by Snoop on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post June 17, 2014, 12:57
by Lincs Lottie
xx
Growing squashes vertically!

Started by beki on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 07, 2008, 07:01
by tomato-joy
xx
Growing pumpkins and butternut squashes in containers

Started by kezlou on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 06, 2008, 22:55
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.39 seconds with 35 queries.