Chilly one tonight!

• 23 Replies

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Chilly one tonight!
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2018, 17:05 »
Frost forecast again here for the early hours of the morning, the casualty of a clear sky.

Just earthed up the potatoes again... they got nipped a bit two nights back so don't need any further set backs.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Grubbypaws

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2018, 17:35 »
i had 18 Charlotte potatoes showing through, and they all seem to have been singed, alas...

If the shoots are still small the potatoes should recover  :)

Notty1975

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2018, 18:33 »
i had 18 Charlotte potatoes showing through, and they all seem to have been singed, alas...

If the shoots are still small the potatoes should recover  :)

Im only growing on my allotment properly this year for the first time and my potatoes are in and coming through it’s been cold the last couple of nights here so what does a singed one look like thanks

Edited to fix quote.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 08:06 by JayG »

Grubbypaws

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2018, 16:55 »
Spoke too soon  :( 8 out of 10 containers have dead tops to the young emerging plants despite being covered in strulch for the night. Was I wrong to rely on the strulch to protect them? I didnt use fleece as it was really quite windy in the evening and would have likely blown off.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2018, 17:04 »
Having gurgled 'strulch' (::)!) it sounds like a perfectly acceptable substitute for fleece - perhaps the tops were still poking through or at least too near the surface of the mulch?
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

jaydig

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2018, 17:14 »
My potatoes are also casualties of the frost.  Every one is now difficult to see as they match the soil - brown and crusty.  Ah well, I'll just have to wait and see if they recover.  I also had three healthy looking cucumber plants, which, despite having been swaddled in fleece, then brought indoors, have all curled their toes up and died.  I'll have to go out and buy replacements.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2018, 09:01 »
Having gurgled 'strulch' (::)!) it sounds like a perfectly acceptable substitute for fleece - perhaps the tops were still poking through or at least too near the surface of the mulch?

I covered each plant with a mound several inches high. I was certain that this would suffice but alas I was wrong.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2018, 09:13 »
I also had three healthy looking cucumber plants, which, despite having been swaddled in fleece, then brought indoors, have all curled their toes up and died.  I'll have to go out and buy replacements.

If you grew them from seed, and have leftover seed, there's still plenty of time to sow (there'd better be - mine are still in their packets!)

jaydig

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2018, 09:37 »
I also had three healthy looking cucumber plants, which, despite having been swaddled in fleece, then brought indoors, have all curled their toes up and died.  I'll have to go out and buy replacements.

If you grew them from seed, and have leftover seed, there's still plenty of time to sow (there'd better be - mine are still in their packets!)

Yes, I still had just two seeds left, but I'm going to nip out this morning and buy a couple of plants as well, just in case the seed grown ones decide to die too.

xx
now that's chilly...

Started by savbo on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post October 14, 2010, 21:09
by wighty
xx
Chilly toms?

Started by jerrynl on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 15, 2015, 10:22
by Goosegirl
xx
chilly peppers

Started by Caretaker on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post July 26, 2006, 22:54
by Oliver
xx
Huh-oh! Chilly Chillies!

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 21, 2011, 13:19
by Aidy

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 43 queries.