Creating pretty baskets

• 4 Replies

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
Creating pretty baskets
« on: April 13, 2018, 14:07 »
This is my first proper year with a garden (as opposed to just an allotment). I am really enjoying starting off lots of flowers from seed rather than just growing veg. The garden was a jungle but I think I've got it all under control and lots of perennials in place now. Ive got some bedding plants are growing away - lobelia, petunias, cosmos, marigolds, calendula and gazanias.

My question is about hanging baskets. I really want to do some big beautiful ones at the front of the house. I have some giant trailing fuchsias growing away in the blow away greenhouse.
https://www.jparkers.co.uk/fuchsia-giant-trailing-collection-1012665c

What else would you put in baskets with them or would you just do a whole basket of these?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Creating pretty baskets
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 15:32 »
The fuchsias do take up a lot of room, once they get going - but I like some Lobelia either Sapphire Trailing or Waterfall Lavender, depending on your fuchsia's colour.

I'm growing both of these from a pinch of seed in each small plastic cup.
I ordered a new lot of  https://www.thompson-morgan.com/p/fuchsia-giantflowered-collection/t70844TM while they had their offer on, as I'm not sure my old ones are still alive in the greenhouse, no sign of them yet :(

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 15:41 »
I like the idea of growing  a clump of lobelia from seed, in a plastic cup as it gives them aa good root-run.

Back to the original question... I find the fuschias do fill out in the end, but something that flowers earlier on helps the baskets look fuller a bit sooner: lobelia fills this niche very nicely imho :D With strongly coloured fuchsias, white works well
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 15:42 by sunshineband »
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 18:01 »
I tend agree with what's been said depending on your fuchsia variety they should fill the basket nicely we always put a slow release fertilizer and a wetting agent provided they don't get dry you should have a good display we will be putting [southern belles] deep purple  Anthea and purple fountain i love fushsais in hanging baskets cant beat um

good luck with your baskets RJR

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 21:34 »
Thanks all! I think we have almost the same fuchsias mum but from a different supplier. Like you I ordered them when on offer and they arrived last week

I have some white lobelia growing but Imnkg sure if it is trailing - I will double check

xx
Creating a lawn

Started by FCG on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post September 15, 2008, 21:36
by FCG
xx
Creating a wildflower patch

Started by drypulse on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post April 05, 2012, 19:41
by drypulse
clip
PRetty Maids in a Row

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post July 03, 2020, 16:17
by mrs bouquet
clip
A pretty hydrangea in a tub

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post July 13, 2020, 16:27
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 40 queries.