Various: pruning wisteria & ivy removal from raised bed

• 3 Replies

dougens

Various: pruning wisteria & ivy removal from raised bed
« on: February 21, 2018, 12:17 »
Hello

I have recently moved into a new house and keen to get the garden sorted for my veg growing.

Firstly, I have ivy (I think) at the end of my lawn (which I like) as it provides some coverage from the street and it grows up the structure that is there.  I will look to include another plant, ivy or not, to fill in the gaps and spaces that are there.  (pictures attached)

The ivy seems to be taking over the raised beds and I'm keen to remove it and stop prep my beds for veg planting in the summer - I have my own compost etc.  It is growing and very strong to remove from the soil.

Does anyone have any tips for removing it?  Is it a case of just ripping it out or should a weedkiller be used at all to help this process?  I don't want it to grow there again as my edible veg will be planted there.  Please see images attached.

Also, there is a witeria (I think) growing from the ground near my front stairs to my house.  It looks quite tired and I'm not sure if I should prune it or leave it until the right time?
Again images attached and any advice welcome!

If I have to remove all the ivy bushes at the end of the garden I will - if it isn't possible to stop it spreading....?  If so any suggestions on what to plant there that will give coverage but now spread like the ivy?

Thanks for any help!
ivy bed 1.JPG
ivy bed 2.JPG
ivy bed 3.JPG
ivy end.JPG
wisteria 1.JPG
wisteria 2.JPG
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 12:24 by dougens »

Toosje

• Experienced Member
Re: Various: pruning wisteria & ivy removal from raised bed
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 16:02 »
Hello Dougens,

To get rid of the excessive Ivy you should probably dig the roots out and place something like a border (Roof toppig?) between it and the beds: it wil spread by time, not very fast though. My experience is it forms a sort of mattress of roots like Solidago or Vinca Minor: you rip away the top part, but below there are more roots.
If you mean te grow veg in the beds I would definitely avoid weed killers also because Ivy is controllable.

I have no experience with pruning Wisteria :) It normally grows like weeds. Maybe good to look at your soil beside pruning?

dougens

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 08:03 »
Hello Dougens,

To get rid of the excessive Ivy you should probably dig the roots out and place something like a border (Roof toppig?) between it and the beds: it wil spread by time, not very fast though. My experience is it forms a sort of mattress of roots like Solidago or Vinca Minor: you rip away the top part, but below there are more roots.
If you mean te grow veg in the beds I would definitely avoid weed killers also because Ivy is controllable.

I have no experience with pruning Wisteria :) It normally grows like weeds. Maybe good to look at your soil beside pruning?

Hello Toosje

Many thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately there isn't enough space to place something in between the ivy and the beds as the beds are so small ( see images ivy bed 2 - the proposed veg bed with a hedge where the ivy seems to be creeping through at the bottom where the chicken wire is - which I plan to remove - see image ivy bed 3)

If you see image ivy end (the bed is on the left of the picture) there is no space to place a border plant to stop the spreading as far as I can see - I would like to place a shed there for tools etc if I'm honest as well.

Regarding weedkillers I've read that glyphosate weedkillers are ok to use for clearing weeds and ivy as they do not go down to the roots and remain on the surface.  Therefore they will not harm the vegetable plot through the soil as it dissipates?  I have read conflicting theories to this though.

I'm going to check again whether the ivy in the vegetable bed is coming through from below the neighbours hedge (although is its very difficult to see where it's source is (!)) and rip it all up from the soil and see where that takes me.  It is not an easy task however and like you say I will need to remove all of the roots, which seem to have formed a thick blanket in the beds!

Does anyone have any suggestions of climbing plants that would fill in the gaps in the ivy at the end of the garden but not be quite to invasive and spread quite so much?  Something flowering would be desirable.

Also any help with the maintenance and pruning of the wisteria greatly appreciated.

Thanks
ivy bed 2.JPG
ivy bed 3.JPG
ivy end.JPG

Toosje

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 10:48 »
I mean something like crimp (I had to look it up so maybe it is the wrong name). It is thin and very resistent so you stick it in and just leave it. But whatever suits you best :)

If it is a sunny or semi sunny side: honey suckle combines very nice with a small flowering clematis or you can plant passie flora which has a nice long flowering period with the beautiful orange fruits at the end of summer.
There are so many options :) climbing roses, also combine very pretty with clematis.
Climbing Hydrangea: beautiful big flowers and a strong plant. Less covering.. 
More challenging: flammeum cape. It grows fast and strong but doesn't 'root' to the sides. You just cut it back whenever you want to. Pref. after flowering ;) she's beautiful.. The flowers are long keepers in little vases on the table or window sill. She gives so many it is hard to let them all be :)

xx
Quince removal

Started by sophiejo on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 11, 2008, 20:58
by gobs
xx
Grass removal

Started by Jd1980 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 31, 2019, 18:33
by rowlandwells
xx
Side-shoot removal on Black Russian tomatoes

Started by SusieB on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 28, 2014, 13:33
by SusieB
xx
grass tufts removal and rotovator and levelling and brambles

Started by mushroom on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post July 14, 2007, 13:48
by mushroom

Page created in 0.339 seconds with 34 queries.