Brambles.

• 6 Replies

SunnyDays@7

Brambles.
« on: February 20, 2018, 15:13 »
Hello there,  2 weeks ago I was offered my very first plot at my local allotments.  It is VERY overgrown all over, and in need of so much TLC.  I have managed to clear out the poor old shed so I can leave it to dry out inside, it was a mess (cleared out 9 bin liners full of rubbish - there wasn't much worth keeping).  There is also a greenhouse which has a good sturdy frame, but the glass/plastic/polycarbonate that is up is not in such good condition, mostly broken.  The main issue with the greenhouse is that inside it is literally FULL of a monstrous growth of bramble.  It was growing through the gaps and out /around the greenhouse and over the roof.  The poor thing was just about covered in it.  I've managed to cut away all the outside bramble, but I have absolutely no idea where to start with the main part of it that's growing enormously within. 
If I cut it down to as far as I can, will I be able to put weed killer on it to kill it, as I don't think I'll be able to dig it up.  It's been left to run rampage for a very long time I think.  The roots will be formidable.  I really want to clear this out so I can start repairing and cleaning the greenhouse up ready so I can start using it in a month or 2.  It's just the brambles are in the way as they FILL the entire space inside.  Any suggestions, please?  Thank you.

Dev

• Experienced Member
Re: Brambles.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 15:30 »
There's no easy way - you've got to grasp the bramble. I would get a really good pair gardening gloves and a pair of secatures and gradually work your way to the heart of the matter. Once you have isolated the root (and there may be more than one) patiently dig away until you can get the blighter out. get the main root out and any minor roots shouldn't cause a problem. Also have a look at Charles Dowding's website for some tips on getting started. Happy gardening.

Toosje

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 16:43 »
Brambles, you might want to skip the green house for the first year. Dig out all you can, cover with dark plastic (I know not very environment friendly) until the next year and hopefully all will be gone. Non cultivated brambles are very strong and tend to keep coming back when not removed to the last bit. Depending on your soil the small bits are easy to remove: when it is clay, more is left behind and a new shoot wil grow. Good luck :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 16:51 »
My advice echoes Toosje. Thick back plastic or landscape membrane, weighted down well, will exclude light and significantly weaken if not kill outright those pesky brambles by next Spring.

You could use weedkiller but you'll need to be persistent, and it'll take ages to kill completely, so I'd go for the other method. It is how I got rid of a carpet of nettles in an area we then erected a polytunnel.

Well done on clearing out that shed!!!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 18:01 »
brambles are a real pain I know from experience I had a really good pair of loppers and persisted in cutting and cutting and cutting no black sheeting just my loppers and a flask of coffee I didn't want to use weed killer because there's not many that will polish brambles of except bramble and brushwood but its a bit expensive if you can still buy it

so I think manual removal is the best method I dug bellow the soil then cut my brambles of as much as I could then pulled what I could up then if any bramble seedlings appeared  they where removed with the greenhouse remove all the glass or plastic and when its clear put the glass or plastic back  and I would spray round the outside of the greenhouse with roundup to keep the weeds down or put some black weed membrane under the soil

that's how I got rid of my brambles hope this info helps and good luck with garden

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 18:29 »
If you have the physical strength like my other half, cutting down to the base and then using a tool called a mattock to remove the roots is very effective. It is hard work though, apparently!

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 18:46 »
I would personally hack the brambles as close down to the root as possible and then clear the dirt around the main root as best as you can. I'd then burn the root with a decent weed burner, that should kill it off and stop it regrowing all being well.

xx
Getting rid of brambles

Started by BarnBrian on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post August 30, 2008, 11:30
by Johndeb
xx
Dealing with brambles

Started by Tom Parrot on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post February 05, 2019, 13:42
by Tom Parrot
xx
Brambles and other assailants...

Started by Growster... on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post June 13, 2020, 15:55
by jezza
xx
Bindweed and brambles everywhere :/

Started by Carla on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post August 19, 2010, 19:05
by pigeonpie

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 32 queries.