Micro greens - macro benefits?

• 4 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Micro greens - macro benefits?
« on: February 12, 2018, 13:56 »
I got a small grow-light set-up as a present so I've been looking at growing these inside over winter.  John has a bit in his diary about experimenting with them, but my chickens are unlikely to get a look in.  I want them for me  :lol:

Sorting Seeds & Potting Shed Problem - Allotment Garden Diary

There is a lot of hype around, but also some serious scientific data which says that grown with full spectrum light, these little seedlings have the same levels of antioxidants as their full grown forms.  Quite interesting I thought.   I grow sprouted beans and seeds for winter salads, so micro greens fit into my diet pretty easily.

I have been picking up cheap packs of seeds to use - seed sales and the basic ranges which I can add to orders where you get several hundred seeds for around £1/£1.50.  I've focussed on brassicas for now - cabbage, kale, PSB, turnip, mizuna and rocket, but you can grow other stuff.

Anyone else had a go?

Nobbie

Re: Micro greens - macro benefits?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 16:13 »
I just bought a £15 27w LED grow panel off eBay to grow some early toms and chilli's, so it will be in use until spring now, but I might try this next autumn/winter, so will be interested to see how you get on.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 20:20 »
My set-up is a bit more dinky-do and really designed for just a few small trays of salad leaves or micro greens. There is no way it is going to accommodate all my peppers and aubergines, so they will just have to rough it on the windowsills.  Tomatoes are still in the seed packet and staying there for a while yet.

It has been pressed into service for the next few days to keep seedlings happy before some move to the greenhouse, so once they are out, we're off and running  :)

Beloved Porcupine

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 20:38 »
I am doing these this year to clear up some old/open packs of seed (really, how could I have too many packs of seeds??) 

I have done, peas, mizuna, kale, radish, chard, rocket basil, and beet.  They are going great guns now; I am just waiting for second sets of leaves before adding them to salads, sandwiches, etc.  You should be able to get a  second cutting from peas.

I have a very bright but cool-ish sunroom, so I planted them in old takeaway boxes and popped them by the window.  It is nice way to tidy up old seeds, you get a fun thing to grow when not much else is (it scratches that planting itch), and they are tasty!
I can resist anything except temptation.

theothermarg

• me
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 11:27 »
I was thinking along the lines of using old brassica seeds as well but haven't got a light setup but have got a sunny windowsill and a sheltered greenhouse.  I've just started some cut n come again lettuce so could sow brassicas similar but cut them like cress couldn't I ?
Didn't think of turnips as a leaf veg, I have some in my stash but don't like them as a root veg.
Lidl is a good place for basic seeds 5 for a pound at the moment I think.
Tell me and I,ll forget,Show me and I might
remember,Involve me and I,ll understand

xx
Micro greens

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post September 11, 2010, 14:08
by New shoot
xx
Micro Greens

Started by Potiron on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 05, 2012, 14:02
by New shoot
xx
Micro greens ?

Started by Steveharford on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 24, 2014, 20:26
by Kajazy
xx
Benefits of planting onion sets now

Started by Earthy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 20, 2009, 20:14
by LivvyW

Page created in 0.357 seconds with 36 queries.