Maincrop potatoes

• 2 Replies

gardeningdave

Maincrop potatoes
« on: February 08, 2018, 19:07 »
Hi all,
I have grown Cara maincrop potatoes in my allotment for several years now, and the variety produces very good yields.  However, over the last few years I am finding that many of the tubers suffer from spraing.  Without knowing precisely which virus is causing this, the fact that I see very little powdery scab leads me to think that Tobacco Rattle Virus is the culprit, which I know is spread by free living nematodes.
These are practically impossible to eradicate, so I am looking to change my maincrop variety.
Can anyone suggest something similar to Cara please ?
Thanks, David

Eblana

Re: Maincrop potatoes
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 20:07 »
Hi all,
I have grown Cara maincrop potatoes in my allotment for several years now, and the variety produces very good yields.  However, over the last few years I am finding that many of the tubers suffer from spraing.  Without knowing precisely which virus is causing this, the fact that I see very little powdery scab leads me to think that Tobacco Rattle Virus is the culprit, which I know is spread by free living nematodes.
These are practically impossible to eradicate, so I am looking to change my maincrop variety.
Can anyone suggest something similar to Cara please ?
Thanks, David

I threw a whole bag of Cara out last week, hadn't ever heard of spraing, thought it was blight😂😂.  I wonder was it in the seed?  I had already ordered Cara so will try them again but I am also trying Setanta and Maris Piper to see how they go.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Maincrop potatoes
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 20:07 »
Have you noticed the TRV virus on the leaves of the growing plants to confirm the diagnosis?

This article lists a few resistant varieties
Potato varieties - Spraing to mind - cpm magazine

xx
maincrop potatoes

Started by animal mad on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 20:50
by matt.k
xx
Maincrop potatoes

Started by jaydig on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 20, 2014, 15:10
by jaydig
xx
maincrop potatoes

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 07, 2014, 21:56
by 3759allen
xx
maincrop potatoes

Started by frederick on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 25, 2016, 10:36
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.373 seconds with 37 queries.