Wildlife pond

• 3 Replies

londongardener

• Experienced Member
Wildlife pond
« on: February 06, 2018, 08:29 »
The pond is 1.72m long, 1.2 m wide and .69 m deep.
The surface area is 2 m squared (probably a bit less as it is not a rectangle).
Is this big enough?  This is scenario A
Width wise I have 1.93 meters to the raspberry bed (so can only add 30 cm that way).
Lengthwise I have 0.6 m to the first branches of the apple tree and 1m to the gooseberries so I only have .3m each way.
So the maximum I could have is 2.32 by 1.5 giving 3.48 ms squared, scenario B
However I think that is too big - and I am fed up with digging and mess.  I could add a shallow shelf 10 cm to the width and 10 cm to back.  Or maybe slightly less  this is scenario C
A) Is ok now or would scenario C be a lot better?

I attach a photo, this will only have wildlife and is in South London
Pond IMG_0292 by davholla2002, on Flickr

snowdrops

Re: Wildlife pond
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 10:55 »
I think the size is fine but I think it needs to be a bit deeper in the very middle,not necessarily all over. This will allow creatures to overwinter in really cold conditions without freezing. A shelf is a good idea for marginal plants. We need to get going with our transformation of our koi pond into a wildlife pond, I had 1 at the old house that did very well, had newts which was a pure thrill.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

londongardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 11:13 »
I think the size is fine but I think it needs to be a bit deeper in the very middle,not necessarily all over. This will allow creatures to overwinter in really cold conditions without freezing. A shelf is a good idea for marginal plants. We need to get going with our transformation of our koi pond into a wildlife pond, I had 1 at the old house that did very well, had newts which was a pure thrill.
I thought that 60 cm was enough to stop freezing solid, I do live in South London so it does not get that cold.
(Saying that temperatures will probably plummet overnight now).

Stewarty

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 11:43 »
At our allotments we tend to have a skip every November, to coincide with our main autumn clear-up work parties. 3 times in the last 5 years I've found children's plastic sand pits there  -  the sort that are shaped like turtles, but they tend to have their heads and legs broken off when I find them.
I've found that they make nice little ponds on my plot, and they  last for up to 3 years. Very little digging required to fit them into the ground. Fellow plot-holders with bigger established ponds let me collect a bucket of frog spawn every March, and various plants.
Tend to get loys of tadpoles, and a few surviving frogs. All in all a nice little low-effort addition to the plot...

xx
wildlife pond

Started by joshbuchan on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post August 02, 2010, 09:45
by blackisgreen
xx
Wildlife pond

Started by AlaninCarlisle on General Gardening

33 Replies
Last post April 16, 2019, 17:22
by AlaninCarlisle
xx
Wildlife pond any ideas

Started by richyrich7 on General Gardening

26 Replies
Last post March 13, 2009, 22:23
by Steph
xx
What to plant in wildlife pond?

Started by Mum2mj on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post October 21, 2017, 19:11
by Mum2mj

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 39 queries.