Public enemy number 1

• 18 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Public enemy number 1
« on: February 05, 2018, 15:15 »

That has been me ever since I attended a Speed Awareness Course just before Christmas. The four hours of the course were so soul-destroying in their tedium that it worked, I resolved to be never back in there and I am stubbornly sticking to the speed limit. This has made me as popular as flatulence in a space-suit but I'm enjoying the feeling of power over the hooligans queued up behind me as I steadfastly stick to the 30, 40 or 60mph limits on single-carriage roads.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

Pescador

Re: Public enemy number 1
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 17:13 »
Exactly the same with me, but still got passed by a bike doing well over 100 today on M5
Every Pickle Helps!

Paul's Preserves and Pickles.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 17:52 »
Good for you, Alan.

I wish they would have an awareness course for the amber gamblers and red light jumpers.

And for the ejits who had single car accidents in 1/2 inch of snow, early today, on our stretch of motorway causing the town to gridlock  ::)

Christine

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 10:57 »
Some folks shouldn't be trusted with vehicles with engines ...........

Stewarty

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 11:35 »
When we're out in our old VW camper, which gives a very relaxing drive, it's clear that the nicest place to be is at the head of the queue.....

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 11:53 »
I've been pretty much like you, Alan, since my course. They're so hot on speeding in N Wales - I think the coppers are on commission!

Silly thing is that the speed limit on the road to the village is 60 but that way lies death as it narrows to just about wide enough for two cars and very blind bends. I rarely get over 40 on it and I know the road. Yet the dual carriageway around Porthmadog is a 40 limit.  ::)
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 08:57 »
The course is clearly effective... and I am also a recipient of their wisdom.

I do wish I had a dashcam to record the cars that dash past at breakneck speed on the motorways though...
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

al78

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 11:44 »
I  am happy going at or near the speed limit behind someone else. I do get irritated by the 30 mph club who drive at 30 mph EVERYWHERE regardless of whether the road conditions and speed limit permit faster progress. This seems to be a significant issue in the south east, the UK capital of slowness.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 12:14 »
As far as I know, there is only very rarely a bottom speed limit, or rule that says how fast you must go!
If you wish to go faster, then you find somewhere safe to overtake and do so.
People drive at speeds that suit their own reaction rate and their own bodily restrictions.

Impatience seems to cause many accidents, mainly due to dangerous overtaking. Does it really matter if your journey takes a few minutes more?

arh

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 14:48 »
Motorways have a minimum speed limit, (a ridiculously slow one), I believe, but may be wrong now, it used to be 40mph, unless travelling heavy haulage etc., this why tractors were banned, and incidently why they invented the GT tractor, which could travel at 40mph). About the Speed Awareness course, one is only allowed to go on one every 2 years, and after 3, one doesn't have a choice. Though if one is still speeding after that they deserve all they get. i repeat, I may be wrong nowadays, as I gave up HGV work 15 years ago.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 15:39 »
I've been Goggling and apart from the overhead, variable speed limits on some motorways and in tunnels/on bridges and the 20mph some Councils use for inner city/near schools, there isn't  a minimum speed limit.
There are currently no laws pertaining to a minimum speed limit on either motorways or dual carriageways in the UK. If minimum speed limits are enforced on motorways or dual carriageways, these will be temporary, circular signs will be displayed and used to help reduce congestion.
https://www.drivingtesttips.biz/minimum-speed-limits-driving-too-slow.html
The Gov.uk speeding limit page only mentions the Council set lower ones.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 15:39 »
Anyone who drives a car at less than 60mph on an uncrowded motorway shouldn't be there in the first place.

North Cumbria is a relatively law abiding place except when it comes to pedantically obeying the speed limits. The roads, outside of Carlisle and two or three towns, mainly on the coast, are relatively lightly used and where there are no obvious speed traps, people use discretion as to what they deem to be the right speed, which of course is how I got caught. And now I'm determined to  obey the speed-limit is why I'm "a public enemy".

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 18:47 »
I have heard of "dawdlers" on motorways being pulled over for driving in way likely to cause an accident. Anyone going really slowly without their hazard lights on is a hazard tbh

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2018, 20:29 »
I have heard of "dawdlers" on motorways being pulled over for driving in way likely to cause an accident. Anyone going really slowly without their hazard lights on is a hazard tbh
Someone going really slowly on the motorway when it's clear is a hazard - say you're doing 70 and they're doing 30 that's a closing speed of 40. You expect them to be doing something over 50 - so by the time you realise it's probably too late.

Growster...

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2018, 07:09 »
Mum and Aunt Sally, you may be interested to know that Kent Police have appointed a new Chief Inspector, who is really getting to grips with speeding in our county.

They're taking extra data from every source available, and here, we're absolutely delighted, as we've been campaigning for years to make our village safer.

Does Ashford still have the unmarked town centre road system?

xx
Public transport

Started by jezza on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post January 08, 2022, 18:15
by Growster...
xx
101 number

Started by jezza on Chatting on the Plot

11 Replies
Last post February 24, 2020, 19:35
by John
xx
You are number 31 in the queue...

Started by Paul Plots on Chatting on the Plot

15 Replies
Last post June 01, 2019, 11:17
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 51 queries.