chilli plant flowering

• 6 Replies

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
chilli plant flowering
« on: January 28, 2018, 10:47 »
I grew from seed last year and pruned it back by half in november, hoping to be able to keep it alive for this year.  It's now covered in flowerbuds...I thought it was supposed to stay dormant?
Is it best to remove the buds or let it go and hope for pollination?

Thanks

engineer

• Experienced Member
Re: chilli plant flowering
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 11:29 »
Well done, if it is indoors and flowering just let it have its head, it is self pollinating, keep an eye open for any overwintering greenfly! Lost mine last year due to these,😠 if there are many flowers it may be beneficial to remove some.

Mr Dog

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 11:48 »
Depends how warm you're keeping them: if its warm enough chillies will grow, and flower. My 2 'seedlings' on the kitchen windowsill are flowering away merrily whereas the overwintering plants in the (unheated) conservatory are very much dormant.

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 11:53 »
Thanks Engineer, I think most credit goes to the south facing window and central heating.
Should notice/taste any greenfly as the plant is a few inches from the sofa at head height!

Mr Dog - I'll leave one somewhere cooler next winter as I guess they burn out if kept going all year round, year on year?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 12:32 »
My two cayenne plants used to flower and produce fruit all year round for at least 4 years, although obviously more productive in summer. They are a particularly obliging variety though.

Using past tense because a few weeks ago they succumbed to either being left in the unheated house for a week at Christmas, and/or a whitefly infestation which I hoped would just go away.  :wacko:

As Engineer has already stated, they are self-pollinating, but an occasional tap of the stem can help maximise the setting of the flowers.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Mr Dog

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 13:20 »
I've got a few, hopefully, going into their 3rd year - Prairie Fire, Lemon Drop, Sandia and Dedo de Mocha. Between years 1 and 2 they stood dormant over winter but got a dose of chicken pellets as they burst back into life. I'll do the same again this year, if they survive. I've read that keeping them going full pelt with heat and light does cause them to peter out after a year or so but letting them slow down for a while to recover should keep them going for longer as with Jay's Cayennes.

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 10:26 »
Plant now fruiting.  Thanks all for sound advice!

xx
Chilli plant flowering now-help

Started by Chazs on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 02, 2011, 17:29
by asd1
xx
Chilli plants not flowering or growing chilli's?

Started by bb_odiham on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post September 19, 2008, 12:12
by gobs
xx
Chilli plant...

Started by Jemsk on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 05, 2007, 22:40
by agapanthus
xx
Last seasons chilli plant

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post February 06, 2013, 00:43
by WirralWally

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 33 queries.