What I did on the plot today 2018

• 355 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: What I did on the plot today 2018
« Reply #285 on: July 16, 2018, 10:39 »
Over the weekend I loads of watering, plus planted out chard, erbette and fennel.

Wilf

« Reply #286 on: July 21, 2018, 10:24 »
Watering... Weeding... pruning...

Also planted out some more Beetroot as we have gone through the last lot. Cauliflower has also been planted (although I may have been a bit late with these) hey ho we'll see how they go

Wilf

« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 10:30 by Wilf »

archibtbm

« Reply #287 on: July 23, 2018, 09:17 »
Watering and weeding, weeding and watering (2 trips daily).  Sown some spring cabbage.

Most of last week was taken up by building the new greenhouse in our garden at home.  Looking forward to getting it up and running as this will make getting things started so much easier. 

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #288 on: July 28, 2018, 18:01 »
My zig-zag strings which were supposed to provide support to my sweet corn failed their first test, although the wind was gusting up to 37mph earlier. Re-strung them with great difficulty ('twas so much easier when they were 4' rather than 6' tall and still vertical!)

Picked my first ripe tomato - Red Alert (as always.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #289 on: August 11, 2018, 09:35 »
I had a major thin out in the greenhouse yesterday.  Pruned leaves from the cordon tomatoes so the remaining fruit can ripen.  Decided one bucket of trailing tomatoes was about done, so chucked them outside.  Spaced out the aubergines and peppers so they have more space.  I saw lots of flowers and fruits setting on the Trinidad Perfume peppers  :D

I can see things flipping into the new season soon, so came inside and sorted all my seeds for autumn planting - quick crop greens, salads, herbs for the greenhouse and stuff like spinach  :)

harry

« Reply #290 on: August 24, 2018, 13:54 »
Still picking and shelling my butter beans and red kidney beans. Also still finding marrows.🤓
Hurray finally retired
two plots now 31A and 35A

Allan-25J

« Reply #291 on: August 24, 2018, 22:10 »
picked some raspberries

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #292 on: August 25, 2018, 09:12 »
Picked my polytunnel pumpkin and my one surviving melon.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #293 on: September 01, 2018, 20:49 »
I was there around 3 hours today.  I moved the compost bins on the big plot. They slot together, so I just dismantled them around the piles of compost and rebuilt them elsewhere.  I have a lot of clearing to do and need the bins ready to go.

Also dug over the area my overwintering garlic, shallots and Wizard beans are going, incorporating compost as I went. 

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #294 on: September 02, 2018, 20:58 »
Another 3 hour stint today.  I dug over about half of my fenced area.  I've filled one compost bin with waste, jumping in occasionally and doing the time honoured compost bin stomp to firm it down.  That one is covered and cooking now, so on to the next  :lol:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #295 on: September 05, 2018, 18:41 »
2 hours done yesterday and I finished digging over the fenced area on the big plot.

2 hours today on the small plot.  I reclaimed my edge back from the side boundary and dug out an unproductive fruit bush in 1 of the fruit cages.  The fruit bush was a tussle, but I wasn't giving up.  It had to submit in the end.  I have a red currant on order to fill the gap.

snowdrops

« Reply #296 on: September 05, 2018, 20:36 »
A trip to the plot this morning to get the compost bins sorted for the manure I was being taken to collect this afternoon. The plan was always to fill bin 1, turn into bin 2 & so on, 4 bins plus an extra 1 for manure rotting down. That hasn’t really happened this year, I’ve ended up just bunging stuff in. So I turned bin 1 into bin 3. Then put layers of cardboard  into bin 1 & 2, followed by  some wood shavings, then some straw, well watered. Then off to get the manure. 53 bags later, I added 2 bags of manure to bin 1 & 2 as the next layer, followed by contents from bin 4 in layers with some clippings & more manure, topped off by more rotted compost. Phew that was tiring. Hopefully they’ll settle & sink & I can add more. Sleep & repeat. Lol.
Here’s a picture of when my bins were new to give an idea of the scale, each bin is about 1 metre square. Plus the extra 5th bin for the manure(well that was the plan)
F8A8FC35-39EA-41D7-8FE5-85CA5742C312.jpeg
FED5570F-D95E-4A9C-87AD-6F0AF099E962.jpeg
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 20:40 by snowdrops »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Tracybutton

• Experienced Member
« Reply #297 on: September 10, 2018, 08:00 »
A trip to the plot this morning to get the compost bins sorted for the manure I was being taken to collect this afternoon. The plan was always to fill bin 1, turn into bin 2 & so on, 4 bins plus an extra 1 for manure rotting down. That hasn’t really happened this year, I’ve ended up just bunging stuff in. So I turned bin 1 into bin 3. Then put layers of cardboard  into bin 1 & 2, followed by  some wood shavings, then some straw, well watered. Then off to get the manure. 53 bags later, I added 2 bags of manure to bin 1 & 2 as the next layer, followed by contents from bin 4 in layers with some clippings & more manure, topped off by more rotted compost. Phew that was tiring. Hopefully they’ll settle & sink & I can add more. Sleep & repeat. Lol.
Here’s a picture of when my bins were new to give an idea of the scale, each bin is about 1 metre square. Plus the extra 5th bin for the manure(well that was the plan)

That's a great job ! I'm just about to show my husband your pictures. You should be able to hear him groan in about five seconds  :D.

snowdrops

« Reply #298 on: September 10, 2018, 08:35 »

That's a great job ! I'm just about to show my husband your pictures. You should be able to hear him groan in about five seconds  :D.

😂😂 I think I heard more of a scream.
All bins now filled & ive added plot clearings to the 5th bin(potato haulms) ready for when the filled ones settle a bit more, I layered the nearly finished compost with some manure to reactivate it in bin 4.

Offwego

• Experienced Member
« Reply #299 on: September 10, 2018, 21:30 »
My day was very similar;

Day 1 of 4

Loaded a trailer full of well rotted horse manure into a trailer then after getting to the allotments wheeled it up hill to my plot, ended up as about 14 barrowfulls, placed 3 inches in one side of my polytunnel.
Then topped two half beds with 4 inches each.
Next load booked for Wednesday morning 😅😁
Then I filled two tubes with good soil ready to sow some autumn king carrots I know it's late but it's worth a go

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
my plot today (pics)

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post January 25, 2010, 14:01
by pawsnclaws
xx
What I did on the plot today 2019

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

143 Replies
Last post January 07, 2020, 14:33
by JayG

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 52 queries.