What I did on the plot today 2018

• 355 Replies

snowdrops

Re: What I did on the plot today 2018
« Reply #150 on: April 21, 2018, 20:55 »
Yahay, finally got some potatoes planted, all the first earlies  are in, not quite following my plan ahem.. im liking this no dig, after deciding how to lay them out it was the easiest I’ve ever planted potatoes. Will be interesting to see the results, a bit of weeding & more tidying up. Few chats with other allotmenteers who I’d not seen on site since last year.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

chillimummy

« Reply #151 on: April 21, 2018, 21:49 »
Got my builders sack full of chippings and at the plot, had enough for all my paths and looks so much better. Some left over so started covering ground around my fruit bushes. Need another sack full and should have a thick enough layer to try and stop weeds coming through  ;)
At home cut the grass and sowed some more sprout seeds as only couple have come up. Not many cabbages germinated either so need to sow more.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #152 on: April 22, 2018, 19:52 »
Sowed 2 x rows of Pink Fir and 1 x row of Charlotte. In at last  :D

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #153 on: April 22, 2018, 19:53 »
And started sorting out the compost heaps, where I found two slow worms  8)

snowdrops

« Reply #154 on: April 22, 2018, 20:03 »
Got my builders sack full of chippings and at the plot, had enough for all my paths and looks so much better. Some left over so started covering ground around my fruit bushes. Need another sack full and should have a thick enough layer to try and stop weeds coming through  ;)
At home cut the grass and sowed some more sprout seeds as only couple have come up. Not many cabbages germinated either so need to sow more.

Have you tried layering your woodchips over cardboard to block out the light to prevent weed regrowth?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #155 on: April 22, 2018, 20:12 »
Lots of weeding and generally getting ready for planting out.  Only 2 tiny pieces of plot left to sort now  8)

snowdrops

« Reply #156 on: April 22, 2018, 20:13 »
Finally planted the 2 blueberries I bought at the end of last year, cut out the bases of 2 tubtrugs that the handles had broken on, dug a hole, added ericacous compost, the tub rug & filled up with the compost & the blueberries. Procured a shed for my plot neighbour from another allotmenteer who’s given up his plot. Had a cuppa with J, then planted 10 Winston & 10 Charlotte seed potatoes, then I sowed 8 short rows of parsnips-4 hollow crown, & 4 of white gem that turned out to be seed tapes, which will be a first for me. Came home as it started to rain.

chillimummy

« Reply #157 on: April 22, 2018, 20:41 »

Have you tried layering your woodchips over cardboard to block out the light to prevent weed regrowth?
Had put some cardboard down last year around fruit bushes as there were so many weeds  ;)
Think it was your advice snowdrops to try that  :)
Will get some more put around the fruit bushes then loads of chippings on top which hopefully will help.
On the paths I had already put weed fabric down.

chillimummy

« Reply #158 on: April 22, 2018, 21:06 »
Productive few hours at plot with help from OH on one of his not very often visits to help though when he does visit, he does help massively  ;)
He rotovated one out of my four big beds which I'd already dug over and weeded.
Ready now for my red and white onions, shallots and garlic and when they are ready, leeks.
In front of my plum tree the soil there is really compacted as I'd put black plastic down to control the weeds last year so I'm going to put some paving slabs down to have an area to sit with deckchairs.
We had lots of terracotta roof tiles left over from freecycle that we had made raised beds with in our garden so have made a long raised bed that will be in front of the slabs and will fill with mix of flowers and veg.
Not sure what to fill it with so will throw weeds and grass in and keep covered with cardboard as it isn't very deep.
Dug a bit more of second bed which is almost done now then home for tea feeling happier with plot  :D 
If weather holds next week then hoping to finish that second bed and the other half of third bed.
At home sowed sunflowers and cilion cabbage as poor germination of sowing so far and some lunch box peppers. Great day  :D   

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #159 on: April 22, 2018, 21:08 »
Checked up on the brassicas I planted out yesterday and gave all the seedlings a watering in the tunnel.
Got a busy week ahead prepping the beds for more planting out and sowing, plus the paths need weeding and woodchipping.
S5000401.JPG
S5000394.JPG

Offwego

• Experienced Member
« Reply #160 on: April 22, 2018, 22:25 »
Filled two bins with horse muck, planted 43 Kelsae onion plants and a new clematis on the arch.

Aled

« Reply #161 on: April 23, 2018, 09:44 »
Dug it over and manured. Will rotovate this weekend.
Cheers
Aled

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #162 on: April 25, 2018, 20:01 »
Double digging a never cultivated area of plot to grow maincrop potatoes in. Heavy going.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #163 on: April 25, 2018, 22:20 »
Sowed my Blaushokker, Oregon Sugar Pod and Kelvedon Wonder peas direct, then got the cucamelons, gherkins and Emir melons started in the tunnel. Also sowed my runner and french beans in card pots. Nearly caught up with everything after the slow start!

candygold1

« Reply #164 on: April 26, 2018, 19:40 »
at last i managed to get a few rows of pink fir apple in today and shallots although a tad later that usual. cut the grass and a general tidy up, it was nice to get some time today

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
my plot today (pics)

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post January 25, 2010, 14:01
by pawsnclaws
xx
What I did on the plot today 2019

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

143 Replies
Last post January 07, 2020, 14:33
by JayG

Page created in 0.373 seconds with 50 queries.