looking back over my shoulder

• 23 Replies

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
Re: looking back over my shoulder
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2017, 09:02 »
It's fun to remember the past and enjoy the present.
We can do both.
Everyone had a guzunder when I was a kid.. and we had an inside loo, so we lived in relative luxury. It had a long chain to flush it and if anyone was too enthusiastic the arm used to get dislodged from its pivot and have to be put back by someone tall enough to reach it.
We had no telly till around 1960 so were good at card games. Anyone remember Lexicon?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2017, 11:15 »
We got a telly in time for the coronation in 1953, and being 'modern' had a new gas stove and by 1959 a fridge  ;) - but still had an outside toilet until the Council rehoused us in 1964  :lol: :lol:
This house, as well as a modern bathroom upstairs, has a brick outhouse complete with high cistern Victorian toilet, all still in working order. It comes in handy if you are in the garden - no muddy shoes indoors, but I'm glad it isn't the only option  :lol:

al78

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2017, 11:56 »
I look back over my shoulder and wonder how the heck I managed to do work full-time (including the odd Saturday and Bank Holiday), do all the housework as well as home maintenance, and manage to maintain quite a large garden. Can't do it now but thing is I did! Yo!

When you retire, your pace of life slows right down, so it takes you significantly longer to do the same things. That is why you wonder where the time goes. This is my opinion from my extensive observation of retired people.

Goosegirl

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2017, 13:34 »
al78 - you're so right there! Added to that I'm not as mobile as I used to was!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2017, 13:57 »
I look back over my shoulder and wonder how the heck I managed to do work full-time (including the odd Saturday and Bank Holiday), do all the housework as well as home maintenance, and manage to maintain quite a large garden. Can't do it now but thing is I did! Yo!

When you retire, your pace of life slows right down, so it takes you significantly longer to do the same things. That is why you wonder where the time goes. This is my opinion from my extensive observation of retired people.

As we get older I think we also realise that half of the things we ran around doing are no longer important enough to stress over - and simply don't do them as often (dusting? anyone?) if at all.  :lol:

snowdrops

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2017, 21:44 »
We got a telly in time for the coronation in 1953, and being 'modern' had a new gas stove and by 1959 a fridge  ;) - but still had an outside toilet until the Council rehoused us in 1964  :lol: :lol:
This house, as well as a modern bathroom upstairs, has a brick outhouse complete with high cistern Victorian toilet, all still in working order. It comes in handy if you are in the garden - no muddy shoes indoors, but I'm glad it isn't the only option  :lol:

Does this mean you live in the house you were brought up in? How wonderful if so😊
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2017, 22:52 »
No it's not the same house, a similar Victorian design though. The Council rehoused us all to demolish all the old terraced housing and put up high rise flats instead  :( It meant I moved out of London to live in Kent when I married  :)

Nowadays the Councils tend to refurb the old houses as they have realised that people would rather live in those than in high rise flats. Sometimes it takes years for common sense to prevail  ::)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 22:53 by mumofstig »

rowlandwells

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2017, 08:51 »
you reminded me we still have the old wooded seat and the cast iron cistern that came out of the old loo when it was demolished when we refurbished the house should make a good garden feature  :D

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2017, 12:41 »
I hate looking back to my childhood years as my mum died of cancer when I was 8 and my sister just 4, leaving me as Head Cook and Bottle-washer

xx
They're back!

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post May 20, 2019, 12:28
by mrs bouquet
xx
Back Job !

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post December 13, 2018, 07:53
by snowdrops
xx
looking back

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post January 11, 2021, 15:50
by rowlandwells
xx
Back in the day

Started by RubyRed on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post January 10, 2019, 03:13
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 46 queries.