food waste

• 18 Replies

snowdrops

Re: food waste
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2017, 20:23 »
I agree I don’t think good quality food is cheap, I think some shops do sell food cheap but it is usually inferior over processed foods. Here all cooked veg that is left over gets frozen to be used up in soups, bread is frozen not long after being baked & sliced to be taken out daily for fresh bread or toasted. Any that is left over gets baked until very dry then made into breadcrumbs for stuffings or coating chicken etc. All peelings get composted & mostly any leftovers get made into another meal. There are times when there is a bit of waste that goes into my sealed compost bin, it can take bones but at the time when they were reinterring Richard 3rd I was emptying the sealed compost bin & had to sieve out all the bones, I was putting them back in until my late mum pointed out I could be still seeing them in 500 years time lol😂😂, so now I don’t add them, after being stocked they go in the bin
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

grinling

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2017, 22:02 »
my daughter complained about too much meat in her pork and apple burger, she isn't a big meat eater, her big bro finished it. (burgers from the local butcher)
Hardly any food waste as I cook small portions. If chicken friendly the the girls love it, the dog eats raw meat only.
Christmas dinner comes as a slightly bigger choice, but leftover meat does for cold salads for several days afterwards.

ARPoet

• Experienced Member
  • I love growing and eating beans
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2017, 06:53 »
After spending my working life if fresh food retail management i know that zero waste in unachievable. But it can be reduced by good management practices.
Shops, market stalls and supermarkets have to contend with customers who are often unpredictable in what the buy and when they want it.
I used to give damaged apples and carrots away to customers with horses, other damaged veg went to either my own compost or other gardeners.
Now retired, i have almost zero kitchen waste as all scraps and peelings go into the compost bin.
Roger.

Its Grand Being Daft

Goosegirl

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2017, 13:48 »
Spot-on! Good management practice whether it be in the home or how the supplier keeps it is one of the best ways to reduce food waste. Another thing is to educate people to avoid buying veg on their last legs because they are cheap as they won't last more than two days; how to cook cheaper but just as good cuts of meat, the best way to store food and left-overs safely as it's surprising how long they can last if kept correctly, that buying funny-shaped veg and fruit only means a little bit more use of the knife or peeler, and to use their creative side with left-overs.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

clip
Food waste

Started by jezza on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post October 20, 2021, 16:50
by jezza
xx
NHS Waste.

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post August 21, 2020, 19:48
by wighty
xx
No waste in the NHS.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post January 08, 2022, 10:50
by hasbeans
xx
Soap waste

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post November 09, 2023, 11:04
by Hortic

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 38 queries.