Friendly robin

• 15 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Friendly robin
« on: November 12, 2017, 20:57 »
I'd read about this before but never experienced ii until now. Every time I go into the front garden I'm joined by a robin. It's totally fearless and follows me around, even into the house yesterday. It doesn't matter what I'm doing - weeding, sweeping up leaves or whatever, it's there and never more than a couple of feet away. It'll take a meal-worm out of my hand, is totally unfazed by the leaf-blower, petrol lawn-mower or even my car.

It seems to be quite territorial and is never seen in the back garden even though there is a wide drive joining the two parts

I'm assuming its attachment to me started because I can be guaranteed to uncover insects etc when I disturb plant-life or fallen leaves etc

Anyone else had this experience?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Friendly robin
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 21:12 »
I have a Robin 'friend' on my allotment plot, only ever a few feet away while I'm working or just sitting there resting my back  :D

The one in the front garden is much more wary (maybe because there are more people and cats about?) He waits until I stop gardening and go indoors, then makes sure the coast is clear before he starts rootling around in any disturbed soil.

They are very territorial birds so each will have its own patch and will fight any other male that enters it. It can look quite nasty if you're there to see it.

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 07:42 »
Robins are said to have no fear of humans for some reason.

We have a regular one too, and when I'm digging there's usually a flurry while a tasty grub is pecked up just a few feet away by the little chap (chapess?)

They also like a good bird table, as they have problems perching on hanging feeders!

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 09:34 »
 I think it is fearless rather than friendly , if they were as big as us they would be a problem ! :)

We regularly had robins accompany us while we were ferreting , they were not afraid of the ferret either .

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 09:43 »
We've got a couple of friendly robins at our site this Winter, they always hang around any one that's digging, looking to swoop in on any choice worms that are exposed!

Mr Dog

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 09:56 »
Robins are said to have no fear of humans for some reason.

We have a regular one too, and when I'm digging there's usually a flurry while a tasty grub is pecked up just a few feet away by the little chap (chapess?)

They also like a good bird table, as they have problems perching on hanging feeders!

My garden robin has learned to perch long enough to get a sunflower seed from the feeders. It was amusing to watch him practicing!

There's also a huge pigeon which can balance on the feeder stand and, with the help of a cocked wing, stretch far enough to get to the seeds - originally we christened him Dopey because of his looks but he doesn't live up to that name.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 11:16 »
My garden robin has taken to demanding food each morning when we let the chickens out.  He perches nearby and gives shrill calls until you notice him.  If you are taking too long in the chicken run, he flies to the wire and hangs on, while glaring in at you.

Once placated with a small handful of robin seed and insect mix, he eats, then sings a tuneful little thank you song before leaving  :lol:

8doubles

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 11:45 »
My garden robin has taken to demanding food each morning when we let the chickens out.  He perches nearby and gives shrill calls until you notice him.  If you are taking too long in the chicken run, he flies to the wire and hangs on, while glaring in at you.

Once placated with a small handful of robin seed and insect mix, he eats, then sings a tuneful little thank you song before leaving  :lol:

More likely " Now you've fed me get the hell out of my territory ".  ;)

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 19:12 »
They can be very aggressive, I once saw two fighting 'beak and claw' on the ground, oblivious to me or a predator. I read that their fights are sometimes fatal.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 15:25 »
There is a robin who comes into the polytunnel when I am working, and I have had to make sure the mousetraps are all up on the shelf and "disarmed" to ensure his safety. Some days I almost tread on him in his haste to snatch beasties from the soil.
Today he nearly came a cropped when I was adding armfuls of old nasturtium foliage to the wheelbarrow out on the plot, when he darted into the barrow for something he spotted as I threw in a huge pile of greenstuff... he just managed to avoid being caught underneath it all... glad he was so nippy!!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

sarajane

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 21:10 »
Our friendly robin came to our BBQ in the summer. Spent quite some time perched on the HP sauce bottle in the middle of the table then later picking at the crumbs.

We call him rocket robin and he visits the garden every day.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 10:11 »
Our friendly robin came to our BBQ in the summer. Spent quite some time perched on the HP sauce bottle in the middle of the table then later picking at the crumbs.

We call him rocket robin and he visits the garden every day.

😀😀

Mr Dog

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2017, 10:22 »
My garden robin has learned to perch long enough to get a sunflower seed from the feeders. It was amusing to watch him practicing!

He's getting better at perching! A couple of pictures of him captured with my new toy, a wildlife camera.
STC_0512a.JPG

Mr Dog

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2017, 10:28 »
2nd pic that didn't upload....
STC_0511a.JPG

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2017, 11:14 »
Nifty camera, Mr Dog  :D :D

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 37 queries.