Food processors

• 7 Replies

Elaine G

Food processors
« on: June 14, 2017, 00:11 »
Dug out my old (30 yrs+?) and rarely used food processor this morning to make a cake. One minute in smoke was coming out of the bottom  :mad:
To cut to the chase, hubby says it is deceased, so I am looking for a new one.

I have a mixer/bowl combo set and a Kenwood tribade which has a mini chopper, and a blender (somewhere!!) and no income!! so I am looking for an inexpensive food processor. I am not prepared to pay a lot of money for something rarely used, so would appreciate any recommendations for a cheap and cheerful one.

PS hubby wasn't mad about the cake - hairy dieters beetroot/chocolate  :lol:

Thanks very much
Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

Auntiemogs

Re: Food processors
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 14:29 »
Mine's over 30 years old (Kenwood Excel), and is currently a 'work in progress', as I'm replacing the grease in the gearbox (it breaks down after a while).  If you don't mind a bit of DIY, I wouldn't write it off yet, as parts are still available.  Alternatively, it may be worth keeping an eye on ebay and local boot fairs, as they seem to come up quite regularly for a very good price.  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

DanielCoffey

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 14:56 »
Do you have any "Gadget Repair" groups around you at all?

Elaine G

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 00:00 »
Hi thanks for your replies.

DanielCoffey I cannot find any 'Gadget repair' places that are interested in anything other than computers or mobile phones! That's progress for you.

Auntiemogs I have also failed to find any spare parts on the internet. It wasn't an expensive one.
Hubby is an electronics engineer. He will usually say he can repair things - which can be a mixed blessing as it could take ages! On this occasion he said he had smelt too many burnt out motors in the past and to put it in the electrical recycling  :lol:

Elaine

Elaine

Auntiemogs

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 08:32 »
In that case, it depends on how much you will use it, what you want it to be able to do, and whether space is a consideration.  My 'big' Kenwood (I also have a smaller Kenwood food processor) takes up a fair bit of space, and there are also numerous attachments (taking up cupboard space). 

If you just want to make the occasional cake, I'd still recommend one of the smaller Kenwoods, as they are not too expensive (from as little as £30 online, depending on what you want it to do), and parts/attachments tend to be available for many years.  I read the reviews on Amazon, and then look for the cheapest price.

Are you implying that engineers can take a while to fix things (as this engineer wonders where she put the gearbox grease 6 months ago)?  ::) ;) :lol:

Elaine G

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 16:45 »
Thank you Auntiemogs. Yes I want something small as space is an issue, and it is not something I use often. Good to know that you think Kenwood is still a good name.

As for engineers fixing things - well there is always something to be done for someone, what with work, grandchildren and helping daughters out, and in the grand scheme of things I would prefer it if I bought a new food processor, which is relatively inexpensive, and he fixed the strimmer  :lol:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 18:35 »
What did you get in the end, Elaine, and are you happy with it?

I'm thinking of replacing my (Mum's) old Kenwood processor, but there's not much on the market - I don't want to pay too much, and nor do I need one with stick & big blenders.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

LILLILEAF

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 19:39 »
Hi Elaine
Just had a look on pre loved site there are lots of food processors many in nearly new condition,they are at friendly prices to ;).Lillileaf

xx
Food vacuum sealer

Started by jambop on Kitchen Natter

7 Replies
Last post January 25, 2021, 20:51
by Aunt Sally
clip
Food waste - I think I might have a problem…

Started by New shoot on Kitchen Natter

21 Replies
Last post December 30, 2023, 16:43
by wighty
xx
Creative food brains needed!

Started by RJR_38 on Kitchen Natter

15 Replies
Last post August 25, 2014, 20:01
by RJR_38
xx
Any one got Harry Mcgee on food and cooking

Started by Madame Cholet on Kitchen Natter

10 Replies
Last post March 15, 2015, 21:49
by Madame Cholet

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 34 queries.