Seed potatoes

• 4 Replies

silver8

• Experienced Member
Seed potatoes
« on: October 15, 2006, 10:44 »
Planning ahead just taken over the second half of what,is now,my second plot and want to use it just for potatoes. What is the cheapest way of buying seed potatoes? With postage costs do online suppliers work out the most expensive?Was thinking of visiting the local garden centres nearer to to time bit would like to do away with the middleman all together?Anyone know of any suppliers any where near Cardiff?

muntjac

Seed potatoes
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 12:17 »
cheap way is to wait till spring then go to the local market /car boot sales where the garden stores type stands are
if you live in the region of a tater growing farmer then talk to him he may have spares or even put a few trays your way when he has his come in ,i get 3 trays £3 /£5  picasso this year ,remember to return the tray if you take it or they will get miffed

even cheaper way is to use supermarket spuds £1 a bag just buy them in spring again and put them away to chit when your ready .most now carry the name of the spud on the packet
still alive /............

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Seed potatoes
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 15:38 »
Check out your allotment shop - if you have one. Wilko's are good on price as well.

I strongly suggest paying for T&M's Sarpo as they are blight resistant  and you'll be guaranteed a crop whatever happens.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Seed potatoes
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 16:28 »
I was going to buy mine online this year as we don't go out much, but actually found our most local garden centre was a bit cheaper than the online ones, and no postage as we were there anyway.

I have occasionally grown supermarket spuds, but am always worried about what diseases they might carry, so I buy proper ones when I can.

I've saved some of the potato seeds as well, so I'm going to try a few of them and see what happens!!!!!

legendaryone

• Experienced Member
Seed potatoes
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 08:56 »
My allotment shop is taking orders and i was wondering how many seed potatoes i would get in a 3kg bag?

xx
Supermarket potatoes using as seed potatoes

Started by Rotorvator on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2024, 17:18
by snowdrops
xx
seed potatoes

Started by oldtimer on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 14, 2007, 17:48
by DD.
xx
seed potatoes

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 09, 2018, 12:49
by Anton
xx
Seed potatoes

Started by gregmcalister on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post January 30, 2010, 11:18
by Rangerkris

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 35 queries.