Its that time again

• 3 Replies

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Its that time again
« on: May 27, 2016, 12:35 »
I hate it, proper hate it.
we have lost a couple of chucks due to fine old age and the time has come to introduce new stock, I have yet to find the perfect way, there will be scrapping, bitching all sorts of chaos, why cant they just get on from the start!
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

jaydig

Re: Its that time again
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 14:50 »
The only time we have had a totally trauma free introduction of new birds was the last.  We bought a couple of pol hens from our local 'chicken man' and duly confined them to the inner run so that the other two chickens could get used to seeing them.  After the first day the older birds totally ignored them, this after the newbies had taken affront at being stared at and had flown at the wire screeching and flapping their wings. This made the oldies think twice about even approaching the wire.  I let the new girls out on the second day and it was as if they had always lived as a flock.  What the old girls didn't know was that these newbies had been reared in a field with Rheas, and after having coped with something that size, it was going to take more than a mere chicken to intimidate them.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 08:16 »
What the old girls didn't know was that these newbies had been reared in a field with Rheas, and after having coped with something that size, it was going to take more than a mere chicken to intimidate them.

What a great story  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

RubyR3d

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 14:42 »
I had 4 up to last week. I've bought 4 more, safety in even amount of numbers, and I split the run. In the new run was a box for nesting, spring cabbage and corn cobs in both, food and grit etc in both. I then introduced the head hen of the oldies into the newbie run. I swapped her for each of the other 3 to ascertain who would be the worse. Eventually after 5 days I removed the fence still making sure food etc was even,y distributed through the run. Only 2 out the oldies were even bothered and when they had a go I was there with a water pistol, my hand and I also grabbed hold of their neck feathers and pulled hard! Don't actually hear much squabbling during the day but I still have to put them away at night.

xx
what time is bed time for your chucks

Started by grumpydad on Chicken Chat

15 Replies
Last post June 05, 2010, 10:39
by TeaPots
clip
One More Time!

Started by LittleRedHen on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post September 16, 2013, 16:54
by ANHBUC
xx
What time shall I put them to bed?

Started by gracie on Chicken Chat

17 Replies
Last post May 07, 2011, 15:18
by rubenjohnson
xx
Bed time order?

Started by Bogof on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post June 13, 2010, 22:14
by grumpydad

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 37 queries.