Confused newbie seeks basic help on growing from seed in plastic mini greenhouse

• 3 Replies

fergusthefrog

Hi there everyone! I'm hoping someone can advise me on proper use of my new mini plastic greenhouse (it's about 4 foot tall and a foot deep, metal frame with zip-up plastic cover).
I've been successfully growing a variety of veg from seed for a few years, starting in pots of compost in my kitchen and then transporting them outdoors when the seedlings are big enough. But the pots are taking over the kitchen floor so I decided to try the mini greenhouse this year.
Am I ok to just stick the seeds in a pot of compost and keep them outdoors in the mini greenhouse from the word go? The seedlings seem to be appearing ok but I'm confused whether to open the zip during the day to let the condensation escape or whether the whole point is to keep the condensation in so they retain the heat and moisture? Currently they're unzipped during daylight hours but zipped up overnight. Thanks!!!

robinahood

• Experienced Member
It depends, which isn't a very useful answer! I would have the door open if there is any sun as it can get very hot and humid even in a plastic green house. It also gets cold at night, so depending on what sort of seedlings you have you might want to bring them in at night if the forecast isn't good.

AussieInFrance

• Experienced Member
From my perspective, these greenhouses have several very useful purposes:

1. For hardening off early in the season (early spring) especially when seeds have been germinated under grow lights. They are perfect for this transitional phase.

2. In protecting early seedlings from cold winds (or dry hot ones if you experience them in your part of the country), drenching rain and nights when the temperatures are sub 10C.

3. In providing an alternate space for seedlings to grow on without littering every horizontal surface around the house.

It's important to remember though that the zipper is your defence against dampening off, so make sure you adjust it accordingly to allow humidity to escape.

Play it as your think fit. The best gardeners learn through experience.
Grow lights for early germination;
Blow away on NE facing terrace for hardening off;
Small potager 90sq.m at 300metres
No-dig method, intensive planting and incorporating permaculture principles.

fergusthefrog

Thanks, robinahood and AussieInFrance for the replies, that's very reassuring as it's pretty much as I was doing anyway I.e. unzipping during the day if I think they're getting too hot inside. Do you think the plastic greenhouse is better for hardening up prior to planting out than it is for germinating the seeds in the first place? (I'm using it for both at the moment)  :D :D :D THANKYOU!!

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 34 queries.