Skinnin` a Tunnel...?

• 8 Replies

Urbanite

• Experienced Member
Skinnin` a Tunnel...?
« on: April 02, 2016, 17:25 »
Got a 15 x 8 ft Citadel PT to erect over the next coupla weeks, reading the instructions it recommends concreting in the foundation tubes if on an exposed site...fair enough.What I can`t get my head round though is if I concrete the tubes in, how do I trench the cover in around the foundation tubes... is this just me having a blonde moment, or what? ???
. . . You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. . . .

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Skinnin` a Tunnel...?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 13:39 »
I can't work that one out either  ??? You need the cover trenched in close in tight to the frame, or it will flap in the wind and eventually tear.  I'd give them a call and ask for advice  :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 16:17 »
I shall be interested in the solution too, as we are planning to install a tunnel at the end of this season, and our site is extremely exposed.

I have seen a couple of tunnel skins on our site shredded in the recent storm, so am determined to do it "right"
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Urbanite

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 17:38 »
I can't work that one out either  ??? You need the cover trenched in close in tight to the frame, or it will flap in the wind and eventually tear.  I'd give them a call and ask for advice  :)
think Citadel have gone under....they opened an ebay store last year which is why i think i got a 400 odd pound tunnel for less than 300, the websites not updated and the last review of them i seen was some poor woman saying they`d took her money and run
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 17:40 by Urbanite »

Urbanite

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 18:04 »
measured the foundation tubes 18", you need 3-4" above ground, the cover is trenched at 12" deep, 2" away from frame, this leaves me 2-3" of concrete... not a lot really.Think what I`m gonna do is pop to wickes tuesday morning buy 8 breezeblocks(the ones with holes in?), set the foundation tubes in these  at 2" deep with a sand cement ballast mix, drop em into pre dug holes and then another inch or so of concrete on top of these...I garden literally a stones throw from the banks of the river Mersey on sandy soil so this has gotta be secure

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 19:48 »
A shame they went under, but, as you say, you got a bit of a bargain.

Like the sound of the breezeblock idea ... we are on a flood plain which is very exposed to high winds, so keeping a tunnel attached to the ground will take some solid fixings.

Hope it works for you!

jezza

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 22:57 »
hi we used to make concrete blocks  9x9" with the support to one side so that the outside edge was 2"from the side then the block as set slightly back in the trench this brought the cover level with the frame   then we put the cover on filled the trench then jacked the frame up till the correct hole in the frame was at the right height in the support then a bolt went through to hold everything in place  the last one put up as jacked up with hydraulic rams 180 x 40 foot polytunnel tensioned in 15 minutes    jezza

Urbanite

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 18:22 »
Frame up and door frames fitted, ended up not going with the breezeblocks...frame went up tuesday, simply knocked the foundation tubes in with a mallet, making sure everything went in square, built the frame.Went back wednesday dug out around the back of the tubes to the full depth then used a hand trowl to excavate round the front where the skin will be,,re-checked  that still in square,filled hole a third full with water and used just over half a bag of post-crete to each hole.One post at a time, working across the tunnel...we also used rope on the foundation tubes of each arch, tying each opposite tube together so when each hole was dug the outward pressure of the arch`es didnt move the foundation tubes...seems to have worked.

grinling

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 22:39 »
are you allowed concrete on the allotment....might be worthwhile keeping quiet.

xx
My New Tunnel

Started by Rangerkris on Design and Construction

14 Replies
Last post January 30, 2012, 09:29
by sunshineband
xx
New tunnel build

Started by jambop on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post December 07, 2021, 17:36
by rowlandwells
xx
Building a net-tunnel...

Started by Bigfatsi on Design and Construction

10 Replies
Last post July 10, 2012, 11:36
by surbie100
xx
Poly-tunnel

Started by Rangerkris on Design and Construction

7 Replies
Last post March 05, 2010, 08:02
by arugula

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 36 queries.