My cat is now better - but why?

• 5 Replies

Goosegirl

My cat is now better - but why?
« on: December 09, 2015, 11:25 »
My cat Daphne went a bit dowly (under the weather) in late summer. She wasn't her usual self, slept more than normal, lost some weight, and didn't instantly purr when stroked. In the end, we took her to the vets and they diagnosed asthma. She got some tablets which we managed to secrete in some treat food until she found them. No way can you get tablets down her so we had to stop her treatment. Since then she has perked up and is back to her normal self. She has no access to anything she shouldn't have so anyone know what the real problem was as we are unconvinced about her having asthma.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: My cat is now better - but why?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 11:40 »
It can be brought on by hayfever in humans, so she may have been having a reaction to the high pollen levels we had this year.

Everyone I know with hayfever had a dreadful time this year in late summer.  Friends and family who don't normally suffer with asthma were having to go to the doctors for inhalers.

lettice

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 08:21 »
One of my cats got a sneezy cold over the summer, runny nose and went downhill for a few days. She has never had a cold in her 12 years and likes the garden in all weathers.
Phone call with the vet was keep indoors, plenty of water and keep nose clean as mucus tends to dry up fast and restricts their breathing. Nose became tender so had to be gentle. Occasional sneezing. Vet said they will be lethargic and eat very little.
She bounced back to normal after the few days.
But have heard quite a lot of cats had similar symptoms round here this summer.
Her brother was fine as were all the neighbours, so nothing really catching.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 08:23 by lettice »

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 13:54 »
Thanks for that. Thing is, she wasn't sneezing or had any cold symptoms, but her eyes didn't look "quite right" so could have been an allergy to something seeding in summer.

spottymint

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 20:03 »
Weebox or Lidle treat sticks are the way to tablet a cat.

Take a bit of moist stick, pop pill in the end, roll a bit, to make a ball. Feed cat.

Our cat is on 2 pills a day, now she comes to me meowing for her treat. (you do need a food orientated cat though).

grendel

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 07:10 »
one of our cats gets a runny nose and gunky eyes every year since we got her - it usually lasts most of the winter - at first every year we would get her antibiotics, which helped a little. then after a few years we gave up on that as it didnt clear it. we just keep her regularly cleaned with baby wipes (unfragranced).
This year however she did get it worse, and ended up going to the vets and having a tooth or 3 removed (leaving just a couple - the rest were removed at the rescue we got her from) and though she still gets a runny nose its back to normal levels.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 36 queries.