Was she trying to tell me something?

• 5 Replies

ghost61

Was she trying to tell me something?
« on: June 12, 2015, 18:54 »
Yesterday evening number one hen appeared at the back door very late in the evening 'mewing'.  She has not done this before and it was well past their bedtime.  I persuaded OH that she wanted me to see them to bed so went out.  She was very reluctant to go into the run, but went in eventually.  Turns out one bird was missing.  We hunted high and low and eventually found her nestled in some bushes for the night.  We got her into the run, but for quite a while we were worried that she had disappeared. 

I am convinced that number one hen was alerting me to a problem, but OH thinks I am away with the fairies. 

Anyone else had such an experience? 

LotuSeed

Re: Was she trying to tell me something?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 19:10 »
Can't say I've had that experience with chickens, but living in a menagerie of animals I have to say they are a much much smarter than they are given credit for. It's a good thing you listened to her!
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 08:17 »
Something had obviously ruffled her feathers, so whether it was concern for her coop mate, or just letting you know she was on edge, it paid off to listen  :)

Maybe whatever upset her sent the other hen leaping into a bush for protection and she ended up settling down in there  :unsure:

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 18:45 »
I can well believe she was alerting you to the fact one was missing. I've been surprised on several occasions by the intelligence and emotional attachment shown by various individuals in my little flock.

danfinn1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 18:01 »
Quite right, all the other posters, we should be intune with nature, the animals do talk to each other and if mine start  squalking or behaving strangley I want to sort out the problem, if there is one ::)

Often here the magpies will make a great deal of noise, more so than usual and my birds stand and listen, so I take a walk in the garden just in case an intruder is lurking 8)
rip Sandy, rip Beryl, Henrietta

Know what would be nice in your garden, a few hens lol

danfinn1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 14:18 »
Yesterday afternoon I took the nesting box and poop tray out of the eglu and left the door off. Give it an airing and allow the chucks a scratch in the soil underneath :)

About mid afternoon Sandy became very noisy, growling and stomping arround, she kept going into the garage and messing about :unsure:. After quite a while the penny dropped with me and I went and put the eglu back together. She went in almost right away and sat. Unfortunately no egg, but promising behaviour for her, as she has been out of sorts lately :)

Thinking about it this happened last summer and I had forgotten ::)

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 37 queries.