Plot produce productions

• 86 Replies

LotuSeed

Re: Plot produce productions
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2015, 17:04 »
New Shoot I love those jars! Are the gooseberries in syrup?
Surbie strawberry lavender sounds interesting!
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2015, 18:01 »
Strawberry and rhubarb jam, gooseberry jam. strawberry jam, pickled beetroot, cucumber pickle, beetroot chutney, onion chutney, spiced tomato chutney. Most of it I sell. Also bottled the first of many tomatoes (any over at the end of the year goes into chutney) The freezer was empty but has started to fill with runner and French beans, fruit and courgettes, peas and broad beans. Anything I can't use at the end of the year either goes into jam or chutney or to the ducks and chooks.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2015, 20:57 »
New Shoot I love those jars! Are the gooseberries in syrup?

They are a type of preserving jar that is widely used in the UK LotuSeed.  I have a collection that I sterilise and re-use again and again. I  buy replacement packs of the rubber sealing rings, if they start to perish.

The gooseberries are in a light syrup as they were fairly sweet to start with  :)

LotuSeed

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2015, 21:02 »
Are they le parfait or Kilner?  (I used a bunch one Christmas to hold sugar scrubs.) I have one jar in the freezer now that has garlic and olive oil in it. I love those jars!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2015, 21:05 »
Now that sent me into a blank moment.  I had to go and check  :lol:  Le parfait  :)

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2015, 22:20 »
Surbie strawberry lavender sounds interesting!

It's very more-ish and this one: http://www.greatbritishchefs.com/community/strawberry-lavender-jam-recipe

LotuSeed

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2015, 23:30 »
I might try making a small batch. My lavender is blooming and I have plenty of strawberries.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2015, 16:20 »
I picked more gooseberries yesterday and stewed them down to a thick purée. Most of it is in the freezer, packed into plastic Chinese takeaway boxes. 

I held one tub back and made silly twits ice-cream today.  A whole tub of gooseberry purée went in and I now have 3 small tubs of the most gorgeous ice-cream. The unfrozen mix was bowl lickingly good, but just had a little spoon of the frozen ice-cream and it is fab 8)

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2015, 18:05 »
The birds stripped mine so early this year  :( and I haven't found anywhere that sells them......

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2015, 19:19 »
That's a shame RJR  :(   

My huge old Invicta bushes do get picked by the birds on the outsides, but they have such thorny interiors, loads of fruit is left for me.  Do you grow such a thorny variety?  They are not the easiest to pick, but they do have their plus points  :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2015, 19:21 »
I picked more gooseberries yesterday and stewed them down to a thick purée. Most of it is in the freezer, packed into plastic Chinese takeaway boxes. 

I held one tub back and made silly twits ice-cream today.  A whole tub of gooseberry purée went in and I now have 3 small tubs of the most gorgeous ice-cream. The unfrozen mix was bowl lickingly good, but just had a little spoon of the frozen ice-cream and it is fab 8)

Gooseberry picking day tomorrow, and the icecream sounds a great idea. Do you just stir in the puree  like ripples, or right in?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 19:23 by sunshineband »
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2015, 21:38 »
I've stirred it right in.  You have to take silly twits out of the freezer half an hour before you want to eat it and I wanted it all to soften in the same way  :)

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2015, 21:54 »
That's a shame RJR  :(   

My huge old Invicta bushes do get picked by the birds on the outsides, but they have such thorny interiors, loads of fruit is left for me.  Do you grow such a thorny variety?  They are not the easiest to pick, but they do have their plus points  :)

I have got invictus and a couple of different Hinoakis - it is only their second season though so still fairly small. Hopefully in a few years....

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2015, 10:48 »
It was a modest addition to the freezer, but I made the base of coriander & mint chutney yesterday.  Basically half the quantity of mint to coriander, with as much fresh green chilli as you feel the need for, then blitz with a tiny bit of water to get it going.

It was frozen in an ice cube tray, then the cubes were decanted to a bag.  Defrost a few cubes, mix with plain yogurt, season with lemon juice and salt and it is a lovely addition to a curry  :)

I also found a recipe for french beans pickled with lemon and rosemary. This may be the answer to the french bean mountain that seems to be forming in my fridge  :lol:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2015, 18:58 »
There are always such good ideas round here  :D

I have never thought of freezing the makings of that chutney, New Shoot. I always make it from scratch, which can be difficult in the winter as it needs a quantity of mint leaves and even in the greenhouse they don't grow so fast at that time of the year.

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 33 queries.