Bonjour

• 3 Replies

Le Coq

Bonjour
« on: October 07, 2006, 09:05 »
Hello to you all,
What a fantasticaly informative web site, obviously used by eager and knowledgable people. I hope to utilise some of your tips and hope that I too, can contribute something of use or interest to others. Thanks to John.
I posted a request for help with my rooster on 30-09-06 but got no replies. He seems to be fine now but still not what he used to be.
Just as an introduction, I moved with my wife and 13 year old son, to France 10 months ago to a small 'farm' of around 10 acres.
We bought '4 hens and 4 ducks', however, the ducks turned into geese, and the hens turned into 2 hens and 2 cockerels. a mistake that any idiot could make. In my defence, they were very young, I think we lost something in the translation.
As 'Del Boy' once said, "The word for duck in French is canard"... But let me tell you, the word for geese is even harder!...........Oh well please youself.
We love them to bits now though. How do you sex geese and when do they start to lay???????????
Not having done anything on this scale before, the task of caring for the land was quite daunting.
We were and still are so busy as the property has to be renovated and one of the barns is to be turned into a gite. (I'm changing the roof from asbestos sheeting to the traditional slate at the moment.)
We have not done a lot with the main part of the land at this time but turned it to hay. We have had plenty of veggies and fruit from our small front garden though and look forwards to lots more next year.
I will post more news if people are interested.
Best wishes to you all.
Q.What is the definition of a smallholder?
A. A man, outstanding in his field.

spud

• Experienced Member
Bonjour
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 09:19 »
Great to hear from you, its a friendly bunch on here and willing to share.
Congrats on making such a big move, one that I have wanted to make for years but always found an excuse to avoid, not the right wee place, can't afford to just yet, you know the kinda thing. Well I think our time is coming soon, starting to feel right, and we hope to make it over there summer 2007. Looking forward to some pics of your smallholding / farm.

Best Regards,  :)
Best Regards,

spud

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Bonjour
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 10:13 »
Sorry you didn't get a reply on your other post and found the allotment  locked. I'm afraid we're pushing the edge of my hosting service which isn't quite coping.
The plan is to move the site to a new server but I will need to close the forums for three days to do it plus some of the code that runs the site might not work on a new server...

Some years back I looked at a semi-derelict farmhouse on 2.5 hectare for £12,000 in France. At the time I was earning quite a lot so seriously thought about buying it.  Stupidly didn't.  I suspect there are quite a few on here who would love to hear more about your life in France.

Welcome  anyway :)
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Tensing

• Experienced Member
    • uk goat owners
Bonjour
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 10:30 »
We are new to geese also having purchased one last week.

Sexing Geese is very similier to Ducks, urrm. You will probably need two people.

One of you stand with Goose in front of your body and its head between your legs, with the gooses bottem in the air (very elegant), if you bend your legs you can support a lot of the weight on your knees. If someone can talk calmly to the goose and stroke its head it will mak it a lot easier for you. Find its vent carefully press around the vent, if its male you should be able to see easily, if its female it will have a sort of pink rose shaped thing.

Does that make sense.

As for laying Geese tend to just lay in the spring and don't really lay a lot of eggs. depends what breed you have, there is some good info and pictures to help you identfy them here Domestic Waterfowl Club . Good Luck
Caroline

Page created in 0.914 seconds with 34 queries.