Herb garden from cat toilet?

• 10 Replies

Sideways

• Experienced Member
« on: January 14, 2008, 09:51 »
Hi

I have cleared a section of a raised border, roughly 6ft x 3ft, that had previously only been occupied by a few plants and my cat. I want to start a herb garden this year, my main concern is that the spot has always been my cats preferred toilet area.

I have cleared away the cat poop I can see and removed the top inch or two of soil. I then turned the soil well and dug in some compost. It is now covered with a mesh to keep the cat off, much to his disgust  :evil:

I was hoping that a couple of months of frost and rain will kill off / wash away any unfriendly bacteria in the soil leaving it ready for planting in the spring.

What do you think? Is the spot unsafe? Should I give the soil more time to ‘heal’. Is there anything I can do or add to improve the quality of soil and remove any health risks associated with the area previously being my moggy’s fave dumping ground?

Or am I worrying unnecessarily?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.
We lived for days on nothing but food and water.

WG.

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 09:59 »
Judging by your avatar, you have young children.  Direct ingestion of viable worm eggs by eating soil is the risk - see http://cks.library.nhs.uk/patient_information_leaflet/toxocariasis

I am unclear how long the eggs remain viable but others may know.

splodger

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 11:17 »
i would have reservations about using that area for herbs - damn - i think that is almost agreeing with wg - damn

and adding compost is not really a great idea - depending on the herbs you want to grow - many prefer poor soil

and i am sure the cat will try to continue to use the space - with or without netting - and is it a tom cat?

Sideways

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 11:33 »
Indeed, my own reservations encouraged me to post the question.

It is my own cat, he can try and get at the patch of soil but he wont get far without an oxy acetylene torch, I made the cover out of an old fire guard.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 13:33 »
Quote from: "WG."
Judging by your avatar, you have young children.  Direct ingestion of viable worm eggs by eating soil is the risk - see http://cks.library.nhs.uk/patient_information_leaflet/toxocariasis

I am unclear how long the eggs remain viable but others may know.

Thanks for that link David, I think all the relevant information is there, including the time the eggs can stay viable, and the categories of cat and dog most likely to shed eggs.

Sideways

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 13:39 »
Thanks for the feedback and link guys.

I think I may bite the bullet and dig up all the soil in that area and discard it, replacing it with fresh soil from a garden centre. It’s not the most cost effective solution but when I consider how much money I spend on herbs from the supermarket I reckon I will recoup the cost in the first year, providing my herb garden is a success of course!

sweet nasturtium

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 14:25 »
Has anyone any information on animal urine on food?  I'm always worried that they spray on my herbs.

Also, anyone know if toxocaris worms can be carried by foxes?  There are an awful lot of them on my plot.

WG.

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 14:45 »
Quote from: "sweet nasturtium"
Also, anyone know if toxocaris worms can be carried by foxes?  
Yup - don't eat any soil.

WG.

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 14:54 »
Quote from: "sweet nasturtium"
Has anyone any information on animal urine on food?  I'm always worried that they spray on my herbs.
And the aerial threat from birds crapping!  Always wash food. :)

DeadlyNightshade

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 22:19 »
I would not worry so much about the worm eggs in the soil, you are most likely going to wash whatever you are growing anyway, a lot of the herbs will be possibly cooked too. And the chances that your children have worms by now (more likely to be tapeworms, keeps you nice and slim but can reach a few yards ;) )are quite high, if your cat is reasonably friendly and you don't worm her/ him regularly
Just done another bit of reading up ;) : apparently Toxocara eggs are commonly found in cat's and dogs hair too.

I would just make sure you'll wash everything well, in the end you never know, where else your or someone elses cat has littered

Bell

gobs

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 22:36 »
Quote from: "DeadlyNightshade"
I would not worry so much about the worm eggs in the soil, you are most likely going to wash whatever you are growing anyway, a lot of the herbs will be possibly cooked too. And the chances that your children have worms by now (more likely to be tapeworms, keeps you nice and slim but can reach a few yards ;) )are quite high, if your cat is reasonably friendly and you don't worm her/ him regularly
Just done another bit of reading up ;) : apparently Toxocara eggs are commonly found in cat's and dogs hair too.

I would just make sure you'll wash everything well, in the end you never know, where else your or someone elses cat has littered

Bell

Very true. As likely to catch it in the park as anything.  :lol:

So I would not be deterred. One odd poo from some visitor is as infectious as your own cats.

Teach your children hygiene and wash stuff and get on with it(and worm the cat, which you are doing of course).
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

xx
Herb Garden

Started by Plot 6B on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post January 22, 2012, 19:38
by gobs
xx
Windowsill herb garden

Started by Batesy on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 05, 2018, 11:42
by Batesy
xx
Sink herb garden

Started by Thephoenix572 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 17, 2011, 14:39
by debih
xx
Overwintering Herb garden advice

Started by dougens on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 27, 2022, 14:58
by Snowboar

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 36 queries.