What a good idea ..

• 18 Replies

Wavertree Red

• Experienced Member
Re: What a good idea ..
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2014, 11:51 »
Going great guns. Much less faffing using the rings.

Ohh look at those nice tidy and orderly tomatoes  :D (although you've missed a side shoot on the middle one  ;) ) Mine are far more of a straggly, spaghetti mess  ::)

I'm finding the clips so much easier too, they're proving especially useful training the cukes up strings, wish I'd bought more than 100 now as I've used at least 2/3rds already.

Hehe cheers. First time I've grown them in a greenhouse so being quite obsessive about side shoots etc.  I bought 50 so should just about do the toms.

My cukes are quite small and may end up in flower buckets which will make stringing them up awkward.  Plus the other side of greenhouse is all chillies  :).  Put a pic or two up when you get chance.
I said a Keith Richards not a Cliff Richard..................

Lardman

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2014, 19:44 »
Put a pic or two up when you get chance.

Im almost ashamed to - it's such a mess in comparison.  ::)

You can see from the tomato picture how I've struggled with the irregular growth this year, but on the cukes it's been very easy to clip every 10-12" the iznik and the diva are about 5' vertical and heading to the ridge.

My cukes are in plant halos ontop of flower buckets (which just happen to be the right size) their strings are attached to the same top and bottom wires as the tomatoes.
la_diva.jpg
spag_mess.jpg
iznik.jpg

Wavertree Red

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2014, 00:06 »
Wow I didn't realise cukes grew so huge!  Luckily the greenhouse has high eaves so shouldn't encroach too much.

Your tomatoes look very healthy and robust with a nice number of trusses judging by my very limited experience.  :)

I noticed you're using that Nixol paint, any good?   As I'm new to greenhouse growing I'm on a steep learning curve and discovered very quickly that most plants hate direct sunlight soon after germination and scorch easily.  Notice the French beans on the floor.  Here's the other side of the greenhouse taken a couple of weeks ago - with buckets of chillies, yum.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 00:08 by Wavertree Red »

Lardman

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2014, 10:41 »
I noticed you're using that Nixol paint, any good?   

It's a bit early really for me to tell, normally I use netting and only applied the paint last week. Since then it's been mostly dry and sunny. I certainly haven't noticed it be any less opaque than when I painted it on at any point.

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 33 queries.