Insects?

• 11 Replies

adri123

• Experienced Member
Insects?
« on: April 12, 2014, 19:59 »
Whilst doing my rounds in the PT I noticed that the ridge was full of what looked like mosquitos.  Is this normal and will it go on it's own or do I have to do something?

TIA

Adri

3 allotments

• now is the time
Re: Insects?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 20:32 »
Hi adri i have found some insects in mine too if they are half inch and have like a sharp end to them hen they are a parasitic wasp, they are gardeners friend's they love caterpillars they lay the little  eggs inside caterpillars hibernating they hatch and larve eat the caterpillar, http://www.wimp.com/parasiticwasp/        http://www.drmcbug.com/parasitic.htm    ;)                       
diggity dig dig

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 21:13 »
Do the barrels you're using as a thermal store have lids on? A warm body of still water with no natural predators is going to be an ideal breeding ground for lots of things you'd rather not give a home to.

Paul Plots

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 00:21 »
Do the barrels you're using as a thermal store have lids on? A warm body of still water with no natural predators is going to be an ideal breeding ground for lots of things you'd rather not give a home to.

Very true... a tiny splosh of Jeyes Fluid...the smell should deter insects from laying eggs into the water and prevent larvae developing. (Read the label carefully 1st to see that it is safe and permitted for similar use)

I had heard of potassium permanganate doing the same job - keeps the water "sweet" and gives it a lovely colour but I'd check this one out before belting to the local chemist and dropping a few spoonfuls in. (stains the skin... brown not purple like the water colour). Ask the chemist for advice first.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

adri123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 14:36 »
I don't think it is that but I'll pop a bit of Jeyes in anyway.  I had heard of using household bleach so might try that.

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 15:09 »
A drop of veg oil will do it too, the larvae cannot get their breathing tubes through it ..............alledgedly ! :)

Paul Plots

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 23:35 »
A drop of veg oil will do it too, the larvae cannot get their breathing tubes through it ..............alledgedly ! :)

I've heard that too and it makes good sense but I wonder if the vegetable oil might encourage the growth of fungus or other spores? Perhaps it would eventually decay naturally...  :unsure:

8doubles

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 11:24 »
I always dunk my watering can from the top as i am not a fan of waiting for a can to fill/overflow from a tap hence i have never tried the oil trick.
My water butts normally contain either tadpoles or goldfish so mozzies do not get past the egg stage ! :)

Paul Plots

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 14:40 »
I always dunk my watering can from the top as i am not a fan of waiting for a can to fill/overflow from a tap hence i have never tried the oil trick.
My water butts normally contain either tadpoles or goldfish so mozzies do not get past the egg stage ! :)

I'm a top dunker too. No goldfish or tadpoles in the water butt though just a well fitting, easy lifting lid.

The bath has a resident newt.  ;) I often see it clambering in or out. (The newt not me)  :lol:

chrissie B

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 14:12 »
so glad this subject has come up , ive got a medium sized plastic green house from wilkinsons , just enough for my modest out put but for the last couple of weeks ive been bitten to death on my legs its very moist in there ive hardly had to water . could this be my problem and how can I cure it , first I thought it was me dog but she gets dosed with the flea stuff and ive checked her nothing there so ive narrowed it down to bottom end of the garden or the grass which I was sitting on while doing my edges , any ideas
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Paul Plots

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 18:52 »
Hi Chrissie B

Sounds as if you and Mrs Plots have something in common. She has, over the last couple of years, developed a really bad reaction to gnat bites but seems to attract the little blighters at times.

When going into the garden late evening or when it's been damp she covers up completely (apart from her face). Trees seem to attract biting flying insects as well as standing / still water and long grass.

You could try cutting the grass short, hanging up yellow-sticky traps in the greenhouse doorway, covering stored water in the garden and maybe wearing a roll on or spray on insect repellent

How people live in the Highlands of Scotland or some areas of Canada where biting insects form huge clouds I don't know.  :mellow:

chrissie B

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 19:54 »
hi paul plots , I wa sdown filling my watering can yesterday and a mosquito yes a mosquito landed next to my hand it was huge , ive also noticed lots of little gnats near to the ground , they are so annoying ive inspected every inch of my poor dog but its not her .
thanks
chrissie b

xx
insects in or not PT

Started by smellykipper on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post April 17, 2014, 20:43
by 3759allen
xx
insects on cucumbers

Started by Marcus10 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

7 Replies
Last post July 25, 2012, 21:58
by Marcus10
thumbdown
Greenhouse biting insects

Started by Julieanne on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

7 Replies
Last post November 18, 2020, 17:04
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 35 queries.